Dryer Vent

Old 11-26-02, 12:11 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Dryer Vent

I need to redirect my dryer vent from the garage to the great outdoors. The previous home owner had this vented to the garage which has created havoc to my foundation. I would like any and all suggestions and advice on how to do this project.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-26-02, 12:35 PM
Super Moderator
Received 9 Votes on 9 Posts
More info.

Where do you live, gas or electric, house details, drier location, etc, etc, etc.

Old 11-26-02, 12:39 PM
I live in New England and the dryer is in the basement against an inside wall (only about 5 feet from an exterior wall). The foundation is exposed about 2 1/2 feet out of the ground before the wood framing begins. The dryer is electric.

Old 11-26-02, 02:02 PM
Dryer

If you look on most dryers you can have a cut out for the vent to come out the side and use this if not can you slid the dryer out the 4" for an 90 L to go on the out let going up then another 90 L to turn out to the outside wall? just cut the vent hole there in the wall . HD and lowes have a kit for this or the pipe and L's to do it. There is a kit for the dryer that gets the lint and lets the air in the home for winter. Its a good humidifier Also there are a lot that tie old panty hose on the out let and let the moisture in the home for winter. If you do vent it outside make sure its not near your AC outdoor unit . Had one guy do it boy we had hell to get the coil clean there on that unit ED

Old 11-26-02, 04:47 PM
Super Moderator
Received 9 Votes on 9 Posts
bearmtn:
Where I come from it is never recommended to exhaust a drier indoors. It does humidify the house but it is very difficult to control. Also, no matter what kind of screen you use you will never trap all the lint that is discharged. What you save in not making a hole will be offset by dusty furniture.

Old 11-26-02, 05:44 PM
I agree with Greg!! Your dryer should be vented out 100%!! it maybe nice to have the extra humidyt in your home. but you seen for yourself when it was vented out in the garage.. My parents did it one time for awhile, and had some damage to the sheet rock on the ceiling.

Just use the ridged dryer pipe and use the 3 flapper dryer vent or the extra wide opening vent... Stay clear from the white flex or any flex type vent hose.. Use the ridges ones only. Yes the ridge one maybe a pain to work with. but will be worth it in the long run..

Jay

Old 11-26-02, 09:10 PM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Hello: bearmtn

The advice and suggestions you got are excellent. Most likely could not have offered better myself, if your question were posted in the gas appliances forum topic.

Thanks Ed, Jay & Greg.

Since the question is more appropriate in the gas appliances topic and more readers will learn from reading it, I have moved it.

Regards & Good Luck. TCB4U2B2B Company Enterprises
Tom_Bartco..."Fast...Fair...Friendly & Highly Proficient".....
Gas Appliances Forum Moderator, Energy Conservation Consultant & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Old 11-27-02, 06:07 AM
Your welcome Tom. :-)

I hope we're not taking your job away?? heheh

And, Happy Thanks Giving to you, and everyone else!
-Jay