Burner Cycling Problem

Old 12-05-02, 01:26 PM
luchman
Visiting Guest
Red face Furnace heating

I have a 6 year old house, and i atempted to increase the temperature in the house at the upper level and regardless of how high the termostat is nothing happens. I checked the furnace (Payne) and the pilot light would not come on. It is an automatic pilot with a glow ignitor..
The glow coil(ignitor) does come on, the gas valves open for few secons they burn then it shoots down. I cleaned the flame rod. Last nite it started and ran until t got to the temperature on the termostat. When the temperature dropped it did not come back on. Is the glow ignitor supposed to be bright red "glowing" at all times???or only when in the beginig.
I searched through previous forums, but did not find an answer. Please help. "it's getting cold in here"

What should i do???
Thanks in advance.

Last edited by luchman; 12-06-02 at 02:20 PM.
Old 12-09-02, 06:55 AM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello: luchman

Any one of the several systems and safety devices on this furnace can be causing this type of problem. Searching this forum and the heating and cooling forum topis will describe one or more of the many possibilities.

Doing so will also provide the information for resolving this type of problem. My reply here is not intended to put you off with a generic reply. It is intended to avoid duplications of possible problem descriptions and duplicate replies.

Cleaning the flame sensor may appear toresolve the problem but only if it is the actual problem and the only problem. There could be one or more additional problems which will need to be determined and resolved.

Retail parts dealers can also help determine what the possible problem may be. Bring the make, model and serial numbers. The information will help to determine the possible problem causes.

If you need further assistance, use the REPLY button to add any additional information or questions, etc. Using this method also moves the topic back up to the top of the list automatically.

Please do not post another new topic on this same problem. Your consideration on this matter would be much appreciated.

Regards & Good Luck, Forum Host & Moderator.
TCB4U2B2B Company Enterprises. Energy Conservation Consultants & Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technicians.

Old 12-12-02, 12:35 PM
luchman
Visiting Guest
Tom,
Thank you for your response. I did search through some previous topics hoping to find an answer, but everyone has a diferent type of furnace or pilot.
For the past week i tried few thigs;
I changed the flame sensor with another one that works(from the furnace on the lower level..same type).The burners start for a little while then they stop. I also cleaned the contact wire that goes from the elctric board to the flame sensor. It was a little rusted. Again it started for a little while then it stoped.
The glow rod works fine.It comes on, starts the burner then stops.
I checked the elecric box (from what i can see) nothig unusual. I double checked all the connections.
What else do you suggest i should check that may cause the shut down? If you know of other replys from previous forums that may solve my problem, please direct me there. I did searched for couple of hours but did not find much similar to mine.
thanks.

Old 12-12-02, 07:03 PM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello: luchman

Some ideas. The other questions will contain almost all the possible causes. It's simply a matter of determining when the burners shut down. A very quick burner usually indicates a flame sensor or the circuit it is connected into.

Since you already checked into that, the power venting system may be the problem. If the unit has a power vent fan, any componet in that system may be causing the problem.

The gas valve could be defective. There could be a restriction in the venting system. An air flow problem. This condition usually allows the burners to remain on for a time but only until the firebox overheats or reaches the high limit control setting.

The type of furnace may not matter. The condition does. Condition means that of the problem with the heater and not it's pilot system or brand etc.

Any forced air furnace could have the condition you are describing. Using this as a guideline may help you locate the problem. Focus on the problem condition and not the brand, make, pilot system, etc. etc.

Electronically operated and controlled heaters of any brand, make or type often require several tests on several componets to determine the exact cause of a problem. The procedures and methods vary and at times can become rather complexing.

There are also times when it is almost impossible to determine the exact cause of the problem in a text only format like this one. It's these times when hiring a pro is worth every cent paid.

Good Luck, Forum Host & Multiple Topic Moderator.
TCB4U2B2B Company Enterprises. Energy Conservation Consultants & Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technicians.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: