Gas Oven Problems

Old 12-16-02, 07:18 AM
Kenny48Me
Visiting Guest
Unhappy Gas Oven Problems

I have a new ( 9mos old ) GE model 183D6027G058 Gas Stove. It has been converted to use LP gas. My problem is similar to others in that the oven will not function properly. When it ignites, the flame is about three inches long lapping the bottom of the oven. The flame is blue, with no yellow, but is as I said extremely large. I installed the stove myself, as the store where I bought it ( Best Buy ) said they do not install appliances. I had my gas company inspect the installation, and after paying them $80.00 they pronounced the installation as OK. They turned it on, made a few adjustments and called it a day. The top burners work fine, is it possible that the conversion valve in the regulator, is installed wrong? The instructions were rather ambiguous. It simply said that the nut in the center should display the type of gas used. The way it is now, the letters LP are on the outside.
Thanks for any input. The gas company will not do any further inspections, and I don't know who to call for help.

Old 12-16-02, 04:20 PM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello Kenny48Me and Welcome to our Do It Yourself Web Site and my Gas Appliances forum.

The most likely problem is the orifice on the ovens gas valve was not changed from the natural gas orifice to the propane orifice.

The natural gas orifices hole is much larger than that of a propane orifice. The orifice must be replaced or it needs to be adjusted. {screwed down lower} The orifice is the brass or bronze thumble like hex nut the burner sits on at the gas valve.

Some oven gas valves have a tapered needle pin extending out of the gas outlet. Turning the orifice clockwise lowers it. Lowering the orifice closes off the hole, as the tapered center pin extends further upwards into the hole in the orifice.

Turning the orifice may resolve the problem of extremely large oven burner flames. If not, orifice replacement is required. The condition, as it currently is, must be corrected.

Burner Flame Size:
The burner flames should not lap past the ends of the flame spreader plate. The flame spreader is the plate attached to the top of the burner.

The flames should be about 2/3rds the size of the flame spreader plate. Which means the flames should be inwards of the outter edges about 1 and 1/2 to 2 inches.

Hope this helps. This task can be a doityourself task for those who are handy.

Happy Holidays.
Good Luck. Web Site Host & Multiple Topic Moderator.
TCB4U2B2B Company Enterprises.Gas Appliances Forum Moderator Energy Conservation Consultant & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Old 12-18-02, 08:28 AM
Kenny48Me
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up Re: Stove Problem

After reading your message, I checked the installation manual, and re-checked the installation of the LP gas orifice. It is in the proper position. I then turned on the oven at the lowest setting. After burning a few minutes the burner shut off. Since it is keeping the proper oven temperature, I believe I over-reacted. In reading your reply, I saw what you said about the size of the flames. They do not spread past the edge of the flame spreader ( which is attached to the bottom of the oven. So I guess the oven is functioning properly after all. I had thought that the flames should simply be the blue cone 3/4 inch long and not actually touch the flame spreader. ( am I making sense? ) The only other gas stoves I have had any experience with were older Wedgwood types, burning natural gas. Sorry for troubling you, but you are the only true fix it site on the net.
Thanks,
Ken Sturmer

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: