Stove ignition problem

Old 12-16-02, 04:44 PM
gerry058
Visiting Guest
Stove ignition problem

After my wife finished washing the stove, the electric ignition on one of the burners kept firing. A short time later (about 5 minutes) two other burners kept doing the same thing. It stopped after about 10 minutes and then started up again. Could it be because of the moisture or am I in for a big repair bill. It's a 3 year old Amana gas stove. Thanks in advance.

Old 12-16-02, 06:41 PM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello Gerard. Welcome to my Gas Appliances forum and our Do-It-Yourself Web Site.

Yes. Moisture during the cleaning process found it's way onto one or more of the top burner spark ignition switches. Excessively wet sponges or cleaning cloths allow water to get onto the switches, which will cause this problem.

If this is the case, then remove everything on the stove top and lift the lid, if applicable, since not all stoves have liftable top lids.

Remove any clear plastic covers on the valve stems, if applicable and pass warm air over the switches using a common hair blow dryer. The idea here is to dry out the moisture.

Be sure to turn off the electrical power or unplug the appliance before attempt this dry out method.

There are several other questions related to this problem, in this forum topic. The questions refer to stove or range spark ignition problems. Reading those may help too.

Happy Holidays.
Regards & Good Luck. Gas Appliances Forum Moderator
Tom_Bart....Company Enterprises.....TCB4U2B2B
Energy Conservation Consultant & Natural Gas Appliance Problem
Diagnostics Technician.

Old 12-17-02, 08:42 PM
gerry058
Visiting Guest
Thank you soooo much

It seems that it was a moisture problem. Everything was fine this morning. Thanks again, you provide an excellent service to us (uneducated masses). Happy holidays and be safe.

Gerry

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: