Furnace Problem

Old 12-16-02, 05:28 PM
slantnose
Visiting Guest
Easy furnace question...

Hello all... I have a Goodman furnace that was manufactured in 2000 - I believe it has an ignitor problem. The gas cycles on, I hear the burners trying to click on, gas still flows, clicks again, and repeats until it times out or I hit the shutoff switch. How easy is this for a novice repairman (me) to fix? Should I bite the bullet and pay the $100 minimum service call fee or try it myself? And about how much does this part cost?? Just trying to get an idea if the repair person is trying to gouge me. Thanks in advance!

Old 12-16-02, 07:09 PM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello slantnose. Welcome to My Gas Appliances forum and the Do-It-Yourself Web Site.

If there is gas coming out into the burners without any source of ignition, the exact problem needs to be determined by a professional service person.

Based soley upon how you describe the cycle of events, the situation does not sound like one you may be able to correct or would want to attempt to correct.

Check the owners warranty service policy. There may be a warranty in place for the condition described. If not, the costs of the service will be worth every cent when compared to the possible dangers of this type of condition.

Actual costs vary from area to area, region to region, dealer to dealer, etc. etc. I could not determine any costs for you due to the various conditions stated above.

Additional Suggestions:
Read the manufacturers online web site for product information, problem possibilities, causes and solving methods, part locations, disassembly, reassembly methods, repair procedures and instructions, pictorials and schematics, all or part of which may be available online.

Retail parts dealers can also help determine what the possible problem may be. Bring the make, model and serial numbers. The information will help to determine the possible problem causes.

Happy Holidays.
Regards & Good Luck, Forum Host & Multiple Topic Moderator.
TCB4U2B2B Company Enterprises. Energy Conservation Consultants & Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technicians.

Old 12-17-02, 05:32 AM
slantnose
Visiting Guest
Furnace update

Hi Tom,
It was a new construction house when we moved in in 2001 so I do not have access to any of the owner's manuals, etc. I will check out to see if I can find anything on their web site. Thanks again for the quick response. Just curious: How does Goodman rank in the heirarchy of furnace brands? Near the bottom? Somewhere in the middle? I figured the builder was looking for the cheapest units possible.....

Old 12-17-02, 06:15 AM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello: slantnose

As a professional and to remain impartial, I have to say, in my opinion & for all intensive purposes, there really isn't any "Better" brand.

To determine the brand in question or any other brands rating as compared to others, check the ratings etc in the consumers guide magazines.

However, at this time, doing so can be considered useless, since you already have an new furnace and are not about to replace it. For those whom are considering a furnace replacement, reading consumers reports has plenty of benefits.

Your question and my reply can be read by many. My including a suggestion to read the mfg's online web site is almost a must. If I leave that line out, I catch flack. If I include it and the web site does not provide provide much info, I catch flack. Catch 22.

In my personal opinion, online web sites provided by manufacturers does not provide much, if any, helpful problem solutions. Their purpose is to advertise & sell products. Period.

Your best bet would be to contact a local dealer who services this brand and or the local retail parts dealers for the brand in your area. They can be one of the best sources for problem solutions.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: