Range Burner Problem

Old 12-16-02, 07:24 PM
barney-gumble
Visiting Guest
Question Low flame on a propane fired gas range

I'm ready to buy my Mom a new range for Christmas but I'm concerned I won't fix the main problem....
The burners on the range (an older model Tappan) don't produce a flame that is very high. The flame is entirely blue in color and evenly dispersed. All the burners behave the same way. The oven seems OK, but I haven't timed how long it takes to come up to temp. It currently takes WAY too long to heat a kettle of water.
I'm not familiar w/ how propane behaves, so this might be normal.
If it is, is there a way to crank up the volume/rate of gas to the burners so we can get a more robust flame? The propane tank/bottle was replaced today, so this is as good as it gets.
Any help is appreciated!

Old 12-17-02, 06:36 AM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello Barney and Welcome to our Do It Yourself Web Site and my Gas Appliances forum.

The problem you describe needs to provide more information.
Has this problem always existed? Or is it a result of any recent repairs, fuel conversion or relocation? etc. Point here is to help me determine the primary cause or I would simply be makes wild guesses.

Before replacing the appliance, it has to be determined if the problem exists at any other gas appliance in the house. If it does, it is not likely to be an appliance related problem. More likely the propane supply. Contact the fuel supplier. The supply would be the problem.

If the problem is only at the range, it can than be determined to be soley related to the range. In this case, the most likely part to cause the problem, if nothing has changed or was changed with the range, would be the appliances gas regulator.

I would highly suggest you start the problem diagnosics using the information above. Doing so could provide the solution. Thus there may not be any need to provide addityional information.

Retail parts dealers can also help determine what the possible problem may be. Bring the make, model and serial numbers and stop in at the store. The info will help to determine the possible problem causes. Parts dealers are listed in the phone book under appliances.

An excellent source for orginal replacement parts is your local retail appliance parts store. Appliance parts dealers test parts and carry replacement parts for all appliances. Parts dealers are listed in the phone book under appliances.

If you need further assistance, use the REPLY button. By doing so, the additional information you add or questions you may have, will remain within this posting. Using this method also moves the topic back up to the top of the list automatically.

Happy Holidays.
Regards & Good Luck. Web Site Host & Multiple Topic Moderator.
TCB4U2B2B Company Enterprises. Gas Appliances Forum Moderator. Energy Conservation Consultant & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Old 12-17-02, 11:27 AM
barney-gumble
Visiting Guest
Here's a little more info for you...
It is the only gas appliance in the house, so I can't look to a different flame for an indicator.
The burners have always had this problem.
Where is the regulator typically located? On the bottles or part of the range itself? I'd like to try fiddling with that to see if it has an effect.
Thanks!

Old 12-17-02, 05:01 PM
Admin Emeritus
Hello: barney

The appliance regulator is located on the gas inlet pipe of the range. At least that is where it should be, if it even has one.

Here is what I mean by that. Not all ranges have a regulator, depending upon there age. You said old. Old is generic.

Assuming old means within the last 25 years or so, the range should have a regulator but still may not have one. Since you stated the appliance has always had this problem, another generic statement, I have to once again assume it's age, wonder who installed it, when it was originally installed and who, if anybody, has ever serviced or repaired it. Lots of assumptions.

The regulator has a raised center tower and it screws onto the inlet pipe. However, I have seen them installed on the gas supply pipe extending out the floor or wall.

Either way, you'll have to locate it, if there is one. If there is one, the center raised tower will have a cap. The cap should be stamped with a marking, either LP or NAT.

The top you see indicates which fuel the regulator is set up for. Which means you should see the LP.

If you find the regulator and it does not have any markings, consider it to be the incorrect one and replace it with an LP regulator.

If there isn't and regulator, than the entire appliance has to have all the orifices replaced with LP orifices. The local appliance parts store carries the required parts.

As fas as the gas supply pressure or regulator on the propane tank, this is not a task you should do. Call the supplier and have their propane supply pressure tested for the correct delivery supply and pressure.

Regards,
Tom_B

Old 12-20-02, 06:13 AM
barney-gumble
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

Thank you for your prompt and useful input!
I'll scout it out and see what I find.
Happy holidays!

Old 12-26-02, 11:39 AM
jboeka
Visiting Guest
Range burner flame is small

another thing to check is for adjustable orfices that are not properly opened. Most ranges for the past 30 years or more have adjustable orfices on the top burners. The orfices are located on the manifold under the top. From each orfice the burner tube runs from the orfice to the burner. A 1/2 inch open end wrench will fit on most orfice bosses. Light the burner with the top lifted. Turn the orfice with wrench in a clockwise motion slowly until the desired flame is on the burner. That being a generally blue flame with a hint of yellow at the tip.
The adjustable orfice is a cap orfice with a needle piece on the inside. Turning clockwise moves the cap orfice out and creates a larger space between the needle point and the hole in the end of the cap orfice. Larger hole, bigger flame.
JNB/The Gaspasser

Old 12-26-02, 01:14 PM
barney-gumble
Visiting Guest
Wink Low flame

Thank you again for all your help!
Get this...
I solved the problem by getting her an electric range and it works GREAT!
Happy New Year!

Old 12-26-02, 08:25 PM
Admin Emeritus
Electric range?????....OH HOW SAD.....

Hello: Barney

After all this you bought her an electric range?......

As a natural gas technical service person, how sad...

Oh Well. At least your mom is happy...

Happy New Year.

Old 12-27-02, 03:55 AM
jboeka
Visiting Guest
Originally posted by Tom_Bartco
Electric range?????....OH HOW SAD.....

Hello: Barney

After all this you bought her an electric range?......

As a natural gas technical service person, how sad...

Oh Well. At least your mom is happy...

Happy New Year.
I agree Tom. I spent 35 years managing propane operations and fighting Redikilowat. That decision was like a sharp stick in the eye. But hey, mom's happy.....................for now.
Joel

Old 12-28-02, 07:19 AM
barney-gumble
Visiting Guest
Cardinal Sin

Ouch!
I have to regain some credibility!!
I'll be installing a new gas range in my our new construction in 4-6 weeks. Rest assured, if I have any problems, you'll be seeing more of me!
Happy New Year!

Old 12-28-02, 08:13 AM
Admin Emeritus
Hello: Gents

Barney:

Not a cardinal sin by any means. Nor have you lost credibility.

OH HOW SAD.....Simply humor, on my part...

To lighten up the topic, to some degree.

Get it?

Lighten up, as in brightness of top burner flames.
Degree, as in oven temperature...

Your most welcome Barney, to ask any questions pertaining to gas appliances in my forum topic. My pleasure to help you.

=============
Hello: Joel {jboeka}

Welcome to my gas appliances topic.

Glad to have you posting replies & providing professional information to questions pertaining to propane appliances.

You said: Stick in the eye?..........haha

Not really. To me anyway.

Just us professionals closely guarding an industry we both work in. An industry that provides us each a living and the means of helping others correctly & safely to use the product we sell.

Happy New Year to you each.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: