Furnace Ignition Problem

Old 12-29-02, 11:31 AM
andrewh
Visiting Guest
Luxair Furnace will not ignite

Good afternoon,
I have a Luxair gas furnace that will not ignite. Blower works and is blowing cold air out of vents. When I turn up temp on thermostat and observe the furnace with the uppper door in place
(only lower door actuates cut off switch), the blower tuns on, I can hear the gas come on momentarily, then shut off. I do not see or hear the automatic starter spark or click.
Last year I had the problem of the gas lighting only temporarily then turning off. Turned out to be the little metal stick approx 2" long, which is the temp sensor. It was dirty. I have sanded it with 600 grit paper..this does not appear to be the problem this time.
I have checked electrical connections for snugness and all appear to be plugged in. Did not find any burned wires.

Also, the control panel has a single light flashing which is the lockout indication, however this is the same indication I got with last years problem (temp sensor). It does not go further to describe a lockout.
Do you have any suggestions?

Thank you for all the help.
Andrew

Old 12-29-02, 03:18 PM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello Andrew. Welcome to my Gas Appliances topic & the Do-It-Yourself Web Site.

Try unplugging the heater for 5 minutes, then plug it back in and retry. Below is a detailed list of additional information which may apply.

Electronically operated and controlled appliances often require several tests on several componets to determine the exact cause of a problem. The procedures and methods vary and at times can become rather complexing. Be aware that only your heating contractor may be able to resolve the problem.

If the pilot lighting system has an electronic sparker that lites the pilot flame and there is no sparking, the sparking element and or electronic module are the most likely defective parts. Clean both the sparker and pilot assemblies first and retry.

Also check for a good electrical connections, etc. to the sparking device, spark module and the pilot flame sensor. If the pilot flame is lighting but the burners fails to lite, a poor electrical connection could be the problem.

The wire that should be cleaned is usually green in color and attached to the sparker module. The other end of this wire will be attached to the furnaces frame.

Below is a list of some additional possible problems and solutions for heating appliances using a hot surface type ignition system. Pick and choose which type, problem or condition applies to the heating appliance you have.

Defective Glowing Hot Surface Ignitor:
The glow ignitor may glow but just be too weak to allow current to continue to flow to the magneto coil and other parts it supplies current to.

The glow ignitor may not be functioning. If it fails to glow, chances are it's burner out. Replacing the Glow Ignitor {Hot Surface Ignitor} may solve the problem.

The main computer circuit board also controls and regulates functions of the heater. It too may have a defective componet.

Defective Solenoids:
The solenoid is inside the body of the gas valve body. Solenoids also supply voltage to a glow ignitor, {if applicable} gas to the pilot flame, {if applicable} main burner gas and or other parts and componets within the entire electrical loop.

Defective Gas Valve:
Remove entire unit as an assembly. Take the entire assembly to your local appliance parts store for testing. Gas valves are not repairable. Replacement is the only option, if defective.

CAUTION:
Do Not attempt to repair the gas valve.
This is a NON repairable item!

The ideal method for determining if either the solenoid, gas valve, gas valve parts, electronic parts or componets, circuit boards or other componets are defective, is to remove the item or items.

Take the entire assembly and or componets to the local retail appliance parts store or heating appliance dealers retail store and have the entire assembly and or parts inspected and or tested, as needed.

If the furnace has a power venting system, a vacuum leak can cause the problem as well as moisture in the hoses, defective switches, controls or sensors. A blocked or restricted flue vent to the outside may be all or part of the problem.

FYI:
The do-it-yourself person can test some of these parts yourself using a voltage tester, continuity tester or an ohm meter. However, do not rely totally and solely on any of these tests to determine if the part or componet is functioning correctly.

TIP:
The only positive proof any part is functioning correctly, is to carefully remove the part or parts you suspect to be the potential culprit, and have the local appliance parts store person test it or check it. Appliance parts dealers carry replacement parts for all appliances and are listed in the phone book under appliances.

Additional Suggestions:
Read the manufacturers online web site for product information, problem possibilities, causes and solving methods, part locations, disassembly, reassembly methods, repair procedures and instructions, pictorials and schematics which may be available.

An excellent source for original replacement parts is your local retail appliance parts store, the local heating dealers and agents retail part stores. Bring the make, model and serial numbers. The info will help to determine the possible problem causes.

Heating Agents & Appliance part stores test and stock replacement parts for almost every heater brand. The locations for the dealers, agents and retail part stores are listed in the phone book.

To save time, read the existing questions in this form and those in the heating & cooling forum on heater problems using electronic ignitions.

In doing so you're bound to find the same or similar problem asked. The reply or replies contained within the question will be all of the possbile solutions.

If you need further assistance, use the REPLY button to add any additional information or ask additional questions after attempting the correctional method or methods offered.

Regards & Good Luck, Forum Host & Multiple Topic Moderator.
TCB4U2B2B Company Enterprises. Energy Conservation Consultant & Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: