Top Burner ignitor

Old 01-02-03, 04:57 AM
anthonylusnia
Visiting Guest
Question Top Burner ignitor

I have developed two problems with a Maytag Magic Chef unit.
First, After the oven reaches temperature, it shuts off the gas. When it needs ro re-ignite, I get the slight odor of gas. I have checked all the gas connections using a soap solution adn have not found any leaks. My best guess is the valve is opening prematurely before the ignitor has had a chance to reach the ignition level. It seems momentarily, bit is annoying and I am concerned about a potential problem.
Secondly, now the top burner ignitors are not working. The gas to the burners is still operational and can be ignited using a match.
Suggestions or repair recommendations.
Thank you.

Old 01-02-03, 05:54 AM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 5 Upvotes on 4 Posts
Hello Anthony. Welcome to my Gas Appliances topic & our Do-It-Yourself Web Site.

Two different appliance problems most likely. The oven just may have a weak hot surface ignitor. {HSI} Replacing the hsi should resolve that problem but may not. Try it first.

If all is well, no need to replace the gas valve. However, some appliance serivce agents and service repair persons do replace both HSI and gas valve in pairs to insure the appliance operates and functions properly on one service call.

The top burners may have a blown fuse or a defective sparking module. Some spark modules use a fuse while others do not. The fuse is often located next to the module and the module located under the top burner lid/cover. Lifting it will allow access.

Additional Suggestions:
Read the manufacturers and other online web sites for product information, problem possibilities, solving methods, part locations, disassembly, reassembly methods, repair procedures, instructions, pictorials, schematics, which may be available online.

Retail appliance parts dealers can also help determine what the possible problem may be. Bring the make, model and serial numbers. Appliance parts dealers are an excellent source for original replacement parts.

Dealers can perform tests and stock replacement parts for all appliances. Parts dealers are listed in the phone book under appliances.

Search this forum for stove, range ignition problems or similarly asked questions. In doing so you'll find the same or similar problem asked. The reply or replies contained within the question will be all of the possible solutions.

Be sure the electical power and gas to the appliance are both turned off before attempting any repairs.

If you need further assistance, use the REPLY button to add any additional information or ask additional questions only after attempting the correctional method or methods offered.

Regards & Good Luck, Forum Host & Multiple Topic Moderator.
TCB4U2B2B Company Enterprises. Energy Conservation Consultant & Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: