Water heater problem

Old 01-02-03, 07:00 AM
MARogers
Visiting Guest
Question Water heater problem

I've noticed recently when showering that I've been running out of hot water more quickly than I should. Is there some sort of maintenance I need to perform that could remedy this problem? Or, do I need a new heating element? Or...?

Old 01-02-03, 05:10 PM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello MARogers

If the water heater is electric, one of the heating elements may be burned out or not functioning. I am not a pro on electric water heaters. I can move your question to the correct forum if I knew the energy source used by the tank.

It's also possible the tank need a flushing. Flushing instructions are located within already asked question pertaining to water heaters within this forum. Search back in the already asked questions.

It's also possible the dip tube inside the tank is damaged, defective or broken. The dip tube is a tube inserted into the tank in the cold waters inlet. If it is damaged, etc it can cause the problem you described and have.

Another possibility is the incoming water is much colder in winter and diloutes the hot water faster then in summer when the incoming water is warmer. If this is the only problem, showering quicker helps dramatically........

Regards & Good Luck. Gas Appliances Forum Moderator.
Web Site Host & Multiple Topics Moderator.
Tom_Bart......Company Enterprises.....TCB4U2B2B
Energy Conservation Consultant & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technican.

Old 01-03-03, 05:37 AM
MARogers
Visiting Guest
Talking Water Heater Problem

Thanks Tom. All of that makes sense. Actually, I have a gas water heater. Would that make a difference in your response?

Old 01-03-03, 06:27 AM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello: MA

The difference is the gas water heater only heats from the bottom. Therefore, excess sediment in the tanks inside bottom reduces the heat transfer. Electric tanks, most of them, use two elements, one at the bottom and one near the top.

A tank flushing may help. Flushing must be done correctly. Flushing is not the same as draining. Your tank should be flushed. Instructions, methods and procedures should be located within existing questions on the topic of water heaters in this forum and in the plumbing forum.

Tank age can also be part of the problem as can several other factors which may not be easily corrected. If the tank is over 10 years old, a new one may be the only solution. Tanks are not expected to provide service after ten years at the same rate as a new tank. They also age and require maintenance.

Regards,
Tom_B

Old 01-03-03, 06:37 AM
MARogers
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up Water Heater Problem

Thanks for the help. I'll check the forum for existing solutions.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: