New Water Heater questions

Old 01-05-03, 08:13 PM
Attica
Visiting Guest
Question New Water Heater questions

Hi, I recently came home from vacation and found my laundry room flooded because my 10 year old gas water heater was leaking from the bottom. My current tank size is 40 gallons and my wife and I are debating on what type of heater would be best to replace it. One with a tank or one without?

What are the benefits and cons of a tankless unit? I know it doesn't provide much more than 3.5 gallons per minute (which is fine for us), but is there any benefits that help offset the difference in the cost over one with a tank?

Also, is there anything I can do temporarily to stop the leak? It looks like it's coming from different areas on the bottom of the tank, but I can pinpoint where it might be coming from. As of now, I'm just shutting off the water to the tank each time we're not using it.

Any help would be appreciated, thank you in advance.

Old 01-06-03, 06:15 AM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello Attica. Welcome to my Gas Appliances forum and our Do-It-Yourself Web Site.

As far as the existing tank goes, it has long ago reached it's normal service life. There is no means or method to repair it. The tank is a welded steel container which has now rusted through.

In regards to tank size, it is not uncommon to increase the capacity by one size larger. 40 gallons to a 50 gallon is common. Considerations have to be made based on allowable space and ventilation, etc. Installation costs should be equal.

The choice between a tank type water heater and a tankless water heater requires several considerations. Within this forum on gas appliances and within the plumbing forum topic, there are several questions on this topic pertaining to tankless water heaters. Reading them may be worthwhile prior to making a decission and or choice.

Use the search engine to locate all the topics on this type of question. The search button is located just below. The topic is tankless water heaters or similarly worded topics. The same search can be done in the plumbing forum topic.

If you need further assistance, use the REPLY button to add any
additional information or questions, etc. Using this method also moves the topic back up to the top of the list automatically.

Regards & Good Luck. Gas Appliances Forum Moderator.
Web Site Host & Multiple Topics Moderator.
TCB4U2B2B Company Enterprises.
Energy Conservation Consultant & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technican.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: