Gas Fireplace

Old 01-06-03, 12:56 PM
Londa
Visiting Guest
Gas Fireplace

We have an old gas fireplace in our living room, we just moved here three years ago, the owners previous to us said that they never used it before, they were here for 60 years.... We are trying to use it, however, we can not find a manufacturer name. there is a pilot, so my assumption is that it is the original insert.. the house is at least 75 years old. Can you give us some insight as to how we can repair the pilot or where to look for the name of the manufacturer or should we dump it and get a new one, i can provide pictures of the insert(i think it is an insert, no where near an expert), just please help, my husband won't ask but i am... thanks

Old 01-06-03, 08:41 PM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello Londa. Welcome to my Gas Appliances forum and our Do-It-Yourself Web Site.

Several suggestions to offer you.

If the appliance has gas logs on a grate and set in sand, most likely the appliance is a gas log fireplace insert. The lower section should had a liftable panel.

Under the panel will be a gas control valve. Should have a red control knob with 3 selection positions. The pilot position selection must face the arrow and the knob must be pushed in.

Once the control knob is depressed, the pilot should light. If the pilot lights and the flame is blue, continue to hold the red knob depressed for one minute.

After a minute release the knob and turn it to the on position. The burner should light up when the switch is turned on. There should be a switch on the wall or a button on the fireplace inserets front panel.

There is where several varieties and types of gas logs made. Most operate like or similar. Reading the existing questions on fireplaces within this forum and the fireplace forum may help to determine the type you have.

Another method to determine which type you have is to visit several fireplace dealers in your area. The dealers are listed in the phone book directory.

An excellent source for orginal replacement parts is your local retail appliance parts store and most gas fireplace appliance retail sales dealers. Appliance parts dealers have replacement parts for all gas log appliances. Parts dealers are listed in the phone book.

Retail parts dealers can also help determine what the possible problem may be. Bring the make, model and serial numbers. The info you provide will help to determine the problem causes.

For additional information read the existing questions pertaining to gas log or fireplace related topics. The questions asked describe like or similarly related problems as your question.

These prior postings and the replies offered within them contain all the required information needed pertaining to the many potential or possible problems with gas log appliances.

Use the search option to locate other postings on this subject and on heaters, which can also use pilot generators. The search option is located below.

If you need further assistance, use the REPLY button to add any additional information or questions, etc. Using the reply button also moves the topic back up to the top of the list automatically.

Regards & Good Luck. Web Site Host & Gas Appliances Forum Moderator. TCB4U2B2B Company Enterprises.
Energy Conservation Consulting Services & Gas Appliance Diagnostics and Technician Services.

Old 01-07-03, 02:02 PM
Londa
Visiting Guest
i am going to attached a picture of the fireplace logs, they do not look like any that i have every seen, it actually looks like a decorated motif sortof i guess, i am not sure, here is the picture. again, i believe the it is at least 50 years old if not more..i will also take a picture of the part..... oh, thanks soo much for responding quickly, i have no clue whats so ever

Old 01-07-03, 08:22 PM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello: Londa

50+ years old? Could be I never seen one that old either...

I doubt pictures can be enbedded into this forum. The options to do so are turned off.

Send the pictures to my email address at: tombartco@doityourself.com

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: