Broken Range Burner Valve

Old 01-11-03, 03:11 PM
plf1
Visiting Guest
Knob turned off but burner still on.

The knob on my gas stove burner was real hard to turn on and off. Now it can not be turned off. The knob turns freely but the burner is still going. At some points the clicking begins as though it is trying to ignite, but it is still burning. I had to turn the gas off at the valve behind the oven. Anyone out there know what the fix is? Thanks

Old 01-11-03, 07:06 PM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Hello plf1. Welcome to my Gas Appliances topic and our Do-It-Yourself Web Site.

The only safe way to correct the broken top burner valve is to replace the entire valve.

The valve can be obtained from the local appliance parts store. Bring the make, model and serial numbers to the parts store. Doing so will ensure that you get the correct valve. Parts dealers are listed in the phone book.

The gas manifold pipe is under the top cover of the stove and the valves are attached to it. If the gas manifold is a round pipe, the gas valve will screw into the pipe.

If the gas manifold is square {4 flat sides} the gas valve will clamp to the manifold pipe. Be aware of exactly how the valve attaches to the manifold on this type. Not all clamps unscrew.

The clamps that have screws attaching them can be a do it yourself task. Those that do not must be attached with a special tool. Under either type of clamped on valve, there is a washer that must also be replaced.

Be sure the electrical power is turned off prior to attempting the repair and the gas is also turned off. When the project is completed, test for gas leaks using leak detection soap.

Regards & Good Luck. TCB4U2B2B Company Enterprises
Energy Conservation Consultant & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: