Wall Furnace Problem

Old 01-14-03, 02:50 PM
matrix6157
Visiting Guest
Post wall furnace wont turn on

I AM HAVEING TROUBLE TURNING ON MY WALL FURNCE. THE PILLOT IS ON BUT WHEN I GO TO TURN ON THE THERMOSTAT NOTHING HAPPENS. SO SOMEONE TOLD TO TRY PUTTING A 9VOLT BATTERY WITH ONE WIRE ON EACH END AND CONNECT IT TO THE THERMOSTAT, AND IT WORKS ATLEAST UNTIL THE BATTERY DIES.

HOW CAN I FIX THIS?

FERNANDO

Old 01-14-03, 06:07 PM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Weak Pilot Generator

Hello matrix6157. Welcome to My Gas Appliances forum and the Do-It-Yourself Web Site.

The most common cause is a weak pilot generator. The pilot generator {PG} is the round element part in the pilot assembly.

My suggestions would be to ensure that the pilot flames are all blue and completely encircle the pilot generator. The pilot generators tip must be cherry red hot and glowing.

Pilot generators produce current proporational to the amount of heat the pilots flame heats the generators tip to. The hotter the better, which allows the generator to produce it's maximum rated current.

If the pilot flame is yellowed, clean and clear the entire pilot assembly, bush off any sediment, rust or scale off the body of the generator, reassemble and test. Test does not mean an electrical test here. It means test to see if the heater fires up.

If there isn't any improvement to the existing condition, replace the pilot generator with a new part. PG's do wear and burn out from normal useage, time and age. Often times simply replacing the element resolves the entire problem.

The problem could possibly be a poor electrical contact in the wiring circuit, no electrical connection in the wiring circuit, a defective thermostat or any wiring connections in the circuit.

If you replaced the thermostat, keep in mind that all thermostats are not the same. Some types of thermostats used in heating appliances do not work properly with the small amount of current produced by heating appliances equipped with pilot generators.

Heating appliances equipped with pilot generators require a special millivolt circuit thermostat. Such thermostats are identified and or stamped as "millivolt only" models.

An excellent source for orginal replacement parts is your local retail appliance parts store. Parts dealers are listed in the phone book under appliances.

If you need further assistance, use the REPLY button to add any additional information or questions, etc. Using this method also moves the topic back up to the top of the list automatically.

Regards & Good Luck, Forum Host & Multiple Topic Moderator.
TCB4U2B2B Company Enterprises. Energy Conservation Consultants & Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technicians.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: