Furnace Ignition Problem

Old 01-19-03, 06:25 AM
Happi_Spark
Visiting Guest
Unhappy Furnace won't kick/stay on

Okay - here's the deal - If I go down and turn the switch off then back on - the fan kicks on and the HSI heats up...then I have to tap on this little electronic part with a screwdriver to get the burner to go. I tap, it clicks, then the flames shoot out and it heats. I set the thermostat to 90 and it heats for a few minutes then shuts off again...then I go back to step 1.

It seems like it will stay on and work fine once it gets warmed up...

I thought it was the Hot surface ignitor but that is not the part I am tapping on to get it to kick on...could it still be the HSI???

Any thoughts/suggestions?

Old 01-19-03, 07:20 AM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Arrow Several Possible Problems

Hello Happi_Spark. Welcome to my Gas Appliances topic & the Do-It-Yourself Web Site.

Without specific information on the brand and model of furnace, generically speaking, the problem is not unlike any other forced warm air furnace with an HSI ignition system.

The most likely cause is a dirty and or defective flame sensor. Cleaning it may resolve the problem.

The gas valve may be defective. The problem might also be within the part your tapping on or any part connected to it.

May also be a bad electrical connection at or to the part your tapping on. If the unit has a power exhaust venting system, any part of that system may be defective, etc.

The heater may have any number of possible problem causes. Several of which may be minor and or serious. A professional heating service agent may be required to determine the problem and or safety of continued usage of the heater.

An excellent source for original replacement parts is your local retail appliance parts store, the local heating dealers and agents retail part stores. Bring the make, model and serial numbers. The info will help to determine the possible problem causes.

Heating Agents & Appliance part stores sell replacement parts for almost every heater brand. The locations for the dealers, agents and retail part stores are listed in the phone book.

Be sure the electrical power to the appliance is turned off, the thermostat is turned down and the gas control valve is in the off postion before attempting any repairs.

Retail parts dealers and heating part supplers can also help determine what the possible problem may be. Bring the make, model and serial numbers. Dealers are an excellent source for original replacement parts and are listed in the phone book.

Read the existing questions, in this forum topic and those in the heating & cooling forum, pertaining to furnace and or heater problems using electronic ignitions.

In doing you'll find the same or similar problem questions already asked. The reply or replies contained within those questions will be all of the possbile solutions.

If you need further assistance, use the REPLY button to add any additional information or ask additional questions. Attempt the repair solutions or correctional method provided first. Post back the results in completed details.

Regards & Good Luck, Forum Host & Multiple Topic Moderator.
TCB4U2B2B Company Enterprises. Energy Conservation Consultant & Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: