Oven Ignition Problem

Old 01-19-03, 11:26 PM
chipe
Visiting Guest
Gas oven trouble igniting - Modern Maid

I have a fifteen year-old Modern Maid model PHU101 -UL that sometimes takes more than 30 minutes to ignite. The problem has been getting increasingly worse for about six months.

Typically, it lets out enough gas to eventually smell around the house and it warms up, aparently from the electric ignitor trying to start it. The orifices look clean and the oven is clean.

Tonight, I waited for about a half hour but it never seemed to light. However, the burner and igniter got hot, apparently from the ignitor trying to start it.

Despite the problems I got it to self clean about a month ago.

More typicically it will eventually start but never seems to heat to near the temperature setting.

Suggestions are appreciated.

Chipe

Old 01-20-03, 05:46 AM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello Chipe. Welcome to my Gas Appliances topic and our Do-It-Yourself Web Site.

Very common problem. The hot surface ignitor {HST} is too weak to provide position ignition. Replacing it should resolve the problem.

A hot glowing surface ignitor, working correctly, will glow an intense bright yellow orange in color. Any reddish color or a dull orange color indicates the glow coil is weak.

A weak glowing ignitor needs to be replaced just as much as a burned out ignitor in order for the burner to operate correctly.

Be sure the electical power and gas to the appliance are both turned off before attempting any repairs.

For more detailed information, read the recent postings within this forum pertaining to ovens. The questions already asked describe like or similarly related problem descriptions as your question.

These prior postings and any or all the replies offered within them contain almost all the required information needed with an ovens ignition system like your describing.

If you need further assistance, use the REPLY button to add any additional information after attempting the correctional method or methods offered.

Regards & Good Luck, Forum Host & Multiple Topic Moderator.
TCB4U2B2B Company Enterprises. Energy Conservation Consultant & Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: