Range Fuel Conversion

Old 01-21-03, 08:49 PM
lkspriggs
Visiting Guest
GE gas range

My GE RGB744GEJ3 was converted to LP Gas. Since then all of the burner flames are huge. The owners manual says to adjust the air shutters. Will giving more or less air openings lower the flames? It was converted by the Propane company.

Old 01-22-03, 06:14 AM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello lkspriggs and Welcome to our Do It Yourself Web Site and my Gas Appliances forum.

The reason the burner flames are huge is because the burner orifices where not adjusted correctly or replaced with propane orifices. Plain and simple, the appliance was not completely converted correctly, if at all.

Whomever did the conversion needs to redo it and do so correctly. Adjusting the air shutters will not correct the condition. Air shutters are there to add or reduce the amount of air mixed with the fuel.

There are several priorly asked questions within the forum topic pertaining to fuel conversions. I suggest you read them to learn more and or contact the service agent or company who did the conversion.

Retail parts dealers can also help determine what the possible problem may be. Bring the make, model and serial numbers and stop in at the store. The info will help to determine the possible problem causes. Parts dealers are listed in the phone book under appliances.

An excellent source for orginal replacement parts is your local retail appliance parts store. Appliance parts dealers test parts and carry replacement parts for all appliances.

If you need further assistance, use the REPLY button. By doing so, the additional information you add or questions you may have, will remain within this posting. Using this method also moves the topic back up to the top of the list automatically.

Regards & Good Luck. Web Site Host & Multiple Topic Moderator.
TCB4U2B2B Company Enterprises. Gas Appliances Forum Moderator. Energy Conservation Consultant & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Old 03-15-03, 08:35 PM
lkspriggs
Visiting Guest
Tom, thanks for the info. I decided to inspect the range myself. I found that the spuds/orifices were not closed down enough. I removed them and cleaned them out. I have the stove burners and broiler burner working excellent. My next question/problem is: Is my oven thermostat defective if the baking/lower oven burner re-lights often? I've made sure there is nothing stuck-on or touching the capilary tubes. It's been an interesting project so far.

Old 03-16-03, 05:03 AM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello: lkspriggs

The simple answer to the thermostat question is no.

A thermostat is suppose to cycle the burner to control and maintain the set temperature.

If the thermostat is doing that, than it is doing the job it was designed and intended to do. Control and maintain the temp.

As long as the burner is sized and the flames are burning correctly, the selected oven temp is maintained, the door closes fully and the door gasket seals well, all should be fine.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: