Furnace Burners Cycling

Old 01-25-03, 06:17 AM
garybr
Visiting Guest
help!!!!

It is freezing cold in my home and I know basically nothing about gas heaters.

The blower will come on when I move the switch to the "on" position. Even with the blower on, the gas will ignite (electric pilot), but then immediately goes off again. The pilot lights and the fire comes on, but then goes off.

On the "auto" setting, it does the same thing, but will cut off and not come back on at all.

The filter is clean. I did check that. I am unsure what to do next, but am bundled up hoping that one of you can give me a hint before I resort to calling a repairman.

Thanks - any you will have to be very descriptive to me.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-25-03, 03:08 PM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Hello Gary. Welcome to my Gas Appliances topic & the Do-It-Yourself Web Site.

You can rest assured, I am the king of very discriptive and detailed. Read several of my replies to existing questions pertaining to furnaces with electronic ignition systems.

Doing so you will quickly find the solution to the furnace problem and how discriptive I really am. I always attempt to include well detailed information regarding the problem and how to correct the problem.

The intent here is to provide you with a quick method to find the possible problem causes and there solutions to the furnace problem. Read the current qustions and the replies contained within them. Do so also in the heating and cooling forum topic.

The most likely cause is the flame sensor element is dirty. The flame sensor is the metal rod element contained within the pilot flame assembly.

Cleaning that sensor element and the connections to and from it should resolve the problem. If not, replacing it may. However, there areseveral other problem possibilities. Each is covered in detail in the existing question pertaining to furnaces and heaters.

Additional Suggestions:
Read the manufacturers web site for product information, problem possibilities, problem causes, problem solving methods, part locations, disassembly, reassembly, repair procedures, instructions, pictorials, schematics, all or part of which may be available online.

An excellent source for original replacement parts is your local retail appliance parts store, the local heating dealers and agents retail part stores. Bring the make, model and serial numbers. The info will help to determine the possible problem causes.

Heating Agents & Appliance part stores sell replacement parts for almost every heater brand. The locations for the dealers, agents and retail part stores are listed in the phone book.

Be sure the electrical power to the appliance is turned off, the thermostat is turned down and the gas control valve is in the off postion before attempting any repairs.

Retail heating parts dealers, heating agents and part supplers can also help determine what the possible problem may be. Bring the make, model and serial numbers. Dealers are an excellent source for original replacement parts and are listed in the phone book.

If you need further assistance, use the REPLY button to add any additional information or ask additional questions. First attempt the repair solutions or correctional methods provided. Than post back the results of the repair. If the solutions offered do not resolve the problem, we can than continue on to others possibilities, if need be.

Regards & Good Luck, Web Host & Multiple Topic Moderator.
TCB4U2B2B Company Enterprises. Energy Conservation Consultant & Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Cautionary Note: Be sure the electrical power to the appliance is turned off, the thermostat is turned down and the gas control valve is in the off postion before attempting any repairs.

PS:
How is the above for details.......see...I am the "KING."...

Old 01-25-03, 04:25 PM
garybr
Visiting Guest
Tom,

Man, I can not thank you enough. It is working much better now and the house has warmed up considerably. It was the flame sensor element.

This is a great site and I will now use it often.

THANKS,

Gary

Old 01-26-03, 05:35 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Thumbs up Happy Camper Success Story

Hello: Gary

Glad you had successful results correcting the problem & inclued the correctional method in your reply. By your replying back with the solution to the problem, all members who read the questions and the answers contained within them, learn.

Regards and Thanks. Gas Appliances Forum Moderator.
Tom_Bart.....TCB4U2B2B Enterprises.
Energy Conservation Consultant & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.