Gas log piping

Old 01-25-03, 08:22 AM
Powerjockey2
Visiting Guest
Gas log piping

I wasn't sure what forum to post this so I'll start here. I had a gas log installed in my home and I just looked at the piping the other day. The guy tied flexible copper into the original "black pipe" with a screwed connection in the basement. The copper runs about 10 feet in the basement then to the "key" valve on the first floor, then back in the basement from 2 feet and then into the fireplace burner. Is this O.K.

Also, the gas burner iis sitting in sand with what looks like loose insulation around it and small lava rock. How does this sound.

Old 01-25-03, 08:28 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Cool

This all sounds O.K. to me.
You also can run it by Tom_Bartco in the Gas Appliance forum. Tom is the resident gas expert.
Mike

Old 01-25-03, 03:48 PM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello: Powerjockey2

The fireplace appliance appears to be correctly installed based on your description. The problem may lie with that copper pipe or tubing which supplies the gas to the fireplace.

I personnally do not suggest nor recommend the usage of copper with natural gas. Nat gas contains trace amounts of sulfur. The sulfur pitts the copper from within and leaks will develope.

Copper may be legal in your area. Copper is okay to use with propane since it does not contain sulfur. You did not specify what type of gas the system is using.

You did mention having the appliance installed. Based upon this information and that contained in the prior paragraph, I can only make assumptions that copper is legal in your area.

That the fuel is propane and not natural gas and the installation was done by a professional licensed installer. You'll have to check with the local building and safety departments in your area to determine if the gas installation is to code.

Regards & Good Luck, Web Host & Multiple Topic Moderator.
TCB4U2B2B Company Enterprises. Energy Conservation Consultant & Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: