Gas Dryer Problem

Old 01-25-03, 12:08 PM
jrmyers
Visiting Guest
Gas Dryer Problem

Our gas dryer will run for about one drying cycle (Approx 40 Minutes) before it stops. You then have to wait about 30 minutes for it to cool down before it will run again. I assume it has something to do with a faulty thermostat or thermocouple. How can I identify the problem and can I fix it myself.? The dryer is very old Kenmore Model 110.7207630. By the way, can you identify the age of the dryer from the model number?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-25-03, 04:17 PM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Several Possibilities

Welcome jrmyers to my Gas Appliances forum and the Do-It-Yourself Web Site.

It's very possible the only problem is a restricted exhaust vent. To verify if this is or is not the problem, remove all the existing vent from the dryer. The end result will be the dryer is not connected to the venting system.

Once you have done this, dryer a load of clothing and note the findings. If the dryer operates correctly and the current problem appears to be resolved, the venting system is restricted and or clogged.

Clearing it by any means necessary will resolve the problem. Check the entire system. This also includes the exhaust vent hood outside. It has a flapper that may not be opening fully or not at all. Locate any restriction within the entire exhaust system and clean out all lint. Replace exhaust vent tubing as needed.

At the back of the dryer on the exhaust vent tube there may be what is known as a "Thermal Fuse." This part could be defective. A continuity test can be done on this part. The reading value should be closed {a connection} or the part is considered defective.

Safety Reminder:
ALWAYS be positive you have unplugged the electrical power and turned off the gas supply to the appliance prior to attempting any repairs!

TIP:
Best method to determine if any part is funtioning correctly is to carefully remove the part or parts you suspect to be the potential culprit, and have the local appliance parts store person run any required tests.

Read the other questions within this forum on the subjects of dryers for further information. The information contained within the already asked questions contain all the required information.

If you need further assistance, use the REPLY button to add any additional information or ask additional questions after attempting the correctional method or methods offered. be sure to post back the results of your findings before asking additional questions.

If the information contained herein does not resolve the problem, we can than move onwards to more detailed and difficult problem possibilities and solutions.

Regards & Good Luck, Forum Host & Multiple Topic Moderator.
TCB4U2B2B Company Enterprises. Energy Conservation Consultant & Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.