Installation Question

Old 01-25-03, 05:40 PM
mamartinek
Visiting Guest
Possible complication of moving gas stove

Hi. I am going to move my gas stove so as to create a bit more room in my miniature kitchen. This will require a 90 degree turn of only one part of the gas feed pipe, I know how to test for leaks, etc., so this isn't a problem. I'm concerned because I plan on installing the frig next to the stove and this will involve leaving the vertical portion of the gas line behind (in by about 4 inches) the frig. I can pull the frig out only so much from the wall, will this cause any fire risks or other problems? Thanks. (The appliances are next to each other currently and moving them will allow more space between them)

Old 01-26-03, 05:49 AM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello: mamartinek

Generally speaking there should be no problem where the gas pipe or gas line is located as long as the pipe is exposed.

Exposed means not behind the wall but behind the frig and still visable. Pipe I assume means iron and or steel and not aluminum or copper.

Based on your description, I assume the pipe is iron or steel and enters up through a floor. In either case, entering out from a wall or up through a floor behind the frig will not pose any problems.

Certainly check for leaks upon completion and I would highly suggest installing a shut off valve on the supply line pipe if one is not currently installed.

Extend the gas line from the floor or wall as close to the stove as possible. Use one steel flex connector from the intake gas manifold on the stove/range to the shut off valve.

I suggest replacing the the entire gas flex line and shut off valve if the current parts are not up to the new standards. Reusing the old parts may be possible but not recommended.

Regards & Good Luck, Forum Host & Multiple Topic Moderator.
TCB4U2B2B Company Enterprises. Energy Conservation Consultant & Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Old 01-26-03, 02:16 PM
mamartinek
Visiting Guest
moving stove

Thank you so much for the information. Yes, the pipes are iron. I will look into replacing the flex line. You have given me an idea as the iron pipe comes out of the floor for about two feet and then an elbow was installed and more iron pipe extends to the left for about 20 inches before the flex line was installed. I believe the way I want to move the stove will enable me to remove the horizontal pipe entirely as it would have actually extended behind the stove too far. (I would have had to turn the elbow so the horizontal pipe extended to the right vs. the left). Thanks. The fewer joins the better. I appreciate all your help.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: