Stove Ignition Problem

Old 01-28-03, 06:44 PM
Soobmeister
Visiting Guest
Frigidaire cooktop has spark, gas is late

I have a 36" Frigidaire cooktop (oxymoron), about 3 years old, with 4 burners in a semi-circle, fueled with natural gas. When I turn any knob there's spark to all 4 units but often the gas fails to come on for up to 45 seconds. Sometimes everything works perfectly and the burner/burners come on immediately. After a long wait, if I turn on all the burner knobs, gas usually flows after the 4th knob is turned. Is there a gas flow control device in the cooktop besides the valves behind the knobs? Once the gas flows, ignition is immediate. This is model #FGC36S5HBA. Any and all suggestions are welcome to remedy this frustrating problem.

Additional info: Besides the cooktop, I have a gas wall oven, water heater, swimming pool heater, and furnace. None of the other appliances have start-up gas flow problems.

Cool forum!

Old 01-28-03, 09:22 PM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Hello Soobmeister. Welcome to my Gas Appliances forum and our Do-It-Yourself Web Site.

First thought to come to mind is the gas regulator. The cooktops own gas regulator is most likely defective. Based on the number of other appliances which appear to be working correctly, I would have to assume the gas pressure out of the meter is correct.

Often times assuming gas pressure is correct proves not to be too wise.... Therefore, I will suggest you have the gas utility verify the gas pressure out of their meter is in fact correct.

The other appliance have pilot lights which may help to control pressure which may be too high. The cooktop does not since it has an IID. IID means Intermittent Ignition Device.

Appliances having this type of ignition device are more sensitive to higher than normal gas pressures and often display the problem description described.

The range of gas pressure should be between 7 to 10 inches of water column and not building under a no flow condition. Only a gas company service person can check the pressure since it is their companies equipment. Have the pressure test done first.

Retail appliance parts dealers can also help determine what the possible problem may be also. They will need the make, model and serial numbers. Appliance parts dealers are an excellent source for original replacement parts. Dealers are listed in the phone book under appliances.

Regards & Good Luck, Forum Host & Multiple Topic Moderator.
TCB4U2B2B Company Enterprises. Energy Conservation Consultant & Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: