Thermocouple Replacement

Old 02-06-03, 01:18 PM
diajon69
Visiting Guest
gas water heater thermocouple change

I HAVE READ ALL THE FORUMS ON PILOT LIGHT NOT STAYING LIT AND I THINK I HAVE TO CHANGE THE THERMOCOUPLE, NOW IS IT HARD OR IS THERE A CHANCE I CAN SCREW IT UP. DO I SHUT THE GAS INTO THE HOUSE OR JUST THE WATER HEATER, I GUESS I AM JUST NOT SURE I CAN DO THIS OR WILL I JUST GO DUH! AFTER IT'S DONE.
DIAJON

Old 02-06-03, 05:43 PM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello: Diajon. Welcome to my Gas Appliances forum.

Replacing a thermocouple isn't a difficult task. It does take a little patients the first time it's done but not difficult.

You do not have to worry or be concerned with turning of the gas to the entire house. Simply turn off the knob on the control valve.
The round knob will have three positions. Off, On & Pilot. Rotate the knob to off.

On some water heaters the thermocouple [t-couple] can be removed from the burner assembly without removing the entire burner. On others the entire burner assembly has to be removed.

Once the old t-couple is removed, install the new one exactly the same as the old one. Be sure to note the height of the tip of the t-couple in the the assembly bracket.

Install the new t-couple to the exact same position. Than install the other threaded nut end into the gas control valve. Do not over tighten the nut. Just snug it up into the control.

If you had to remove the pilot tube and the burner gas tube, than reinstall them and soap test for gas leaks once the water heater is back in full operation.

The burner must be one reheating the water to test for leaks from the burners gas tube nut. The pilot tubing nut can be checked for leaks when the pilot is on.

Word of caution.
Hand start all threads to avoid stripping threads. The replacement t-couple package will contain instructions.

The package also contains additional parts, all of which are not required but supplied so the t-couple can be a universal replacement part for multiple applications.

Hope these instructions help you. There are other questions on water heaters in this forum with additional information.

An excellent source for original replacement parts is your local retail appliance parts store. Appliance parts dealers stock replacement parts for all appliances. Parts dealers are listed in the phone book under appliances.

If you need further assistance, use the REPLY button to add any additional information or questions, etc. Using this method also moves the topic back up to the top of the list automatically.

Regards & Good Luck. Web Site Host & Gas Appliances Forum Moderator. Tom_Bart......Company Enterprises.....TCB4U2B2B
Energy Conservation Consultant & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Old 02-08-03, 10:44 AM
diajon69
Visiting Guest
Hot water heater

I changed the thermocoupling on the hot water heater because I could not get the pilot to stay lit and it is still not working. I can light the pilot and get it to ignite but as soon as it shut down the pilot goes out again. Is there something else that may be the problem that a do it yourselfer can try as I just can not affors a new hot water tank right now? Any help or suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

Old 02-08-03, 11:12 AM
diajon69
Visiting Guest
Install a new hot water heater

Would a person with basic skills be able to purchase and install a hot water heater themselves?

Old 02-08-03, 12:00 PM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Several Possible Problems

Hello: diajon69

There is always the possibility the water heater has problems which are non correctable. Many of them are a result of time and age. Conditions of air flow into the firebox, the actual firebox condition and venting system in the flue.

These type of problems cannot always be corrected. More than likely they cannot be corrected. Age usually can be a means a moderator or professional can best judge the possibility upon.

If the tank is more than ten years old, most likely the internal condition is beyond most common repairs but not always. Past ten years is considered usage beyond the normal service life.

If you replaced the thermocouple and it is correctly installed in the pilot assembly, the pilots flame is all blue and in contact with the tip of the t-couple and the pilot shuts downs soon after or immediatetly after the burner turns off, it may indicate a non repairable condition exists.

It may also indicate a possibility the magneto is weak and or defective. The magneto is the part the t-couple screws into. this part is a part which can be replaced as a seperate componet inside the thermostat control.

Internal water dripping is also a possibility. Listen for or observe for signs of water leakage inside the firebox when the burner is on. Continued leakage indicates a rusted out firebox. No repair can be made for this condition. Water heater must then be replaced.

Minor dripping only at the start of the burner and lasting briefly is only a sign of condensation and is not a condition to always be concerned with. Internal rust visable in the firebox is a concern.

There are several possibilities for constant and or repeated pilot and or burner outages. Many of which only the experienced & professional service person will be able to determine the cause of.

Replacing the entire tank can be a do-it-yourself project for the handy person. However, this project may not be as easy to correctly and or safely accomplish. Local laws and codes apply.

Codes change and the newer ones often apply to replacements of many gas appliances. Checking with the local building and or safety departments in your area is a good suggestion & idea.

Completion of do-it-yourself projects on gas appliances should always be inspected by qualified service persons and or the gas suppliers service persons. Gas leaks are of prime concerns and proper exhausting of fumes to prevent CO is a major concen.

Retail parts dealers can also help determine what the possible problem may be. Bring the make, model and serial numbers if you stop in at the store. The info will help to determine the possible problem causes.

Your two questions on this water heater where combined into one question. Doing so allows all persons to read the questions in one topic.

If you need further assistance, use the REPLY button to add any additional information or questions, etc. Using this method also moves the topic back up to the top of the list automatically.

Regards & Good Luck. Web Site Host & Gas Appliances Forum Moderator. Tom_Bart......Company Enterprises.....TCB4U2B2B
Energy Conservation Consultant & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: