Oven Hot Surface Ignition Problem

Old 02-09-03, 06:30 AM
Jimmypsu93
Visiting Guest
Caloric Oven Ignitor

Having trouble lighting my 16 year old Caloric Prestige wall oven. Sounds like its probably the electric ignitor. No gas comes out when I turn on the oven (I assume thats a safety mechanism since its not lighting)

Light works so electricity is still OK in that outlet. I have 2 questions:

1) Should I check anything else before assuming I need a new ignitor

2) Is replacing the ignitor something I can do myself, or do I need a professional. And where can I get the parts.

Thanks so much for your help. I checked the history, but didn't find what I need.

Old 02-09-03, 08:46 AM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Arrow Hot Surface Ignitor or Gas Valve

Hello Jimmy and Welcome to the Do It Yourself Web Site and my Gas Appliances forum.

The information you're requesting is in fact contained within the current questions asked on this topic of oven ignitors and or ovens with ignition problems. Reading them will provide you with all the additional information required.

Replacing the ignitor is most likely to resolve the problem. Be sure all the control panel selections are set correctly. If the ignitor is glowing but does not get glow hot enough to provide positive ignition to ignite the gas, the burner will not turn on.

Yes. To your question regarding the safety system. If the ignitor fails to glow or glow hot enough to provide positive ignition to the gas, no gas will flow from the gas valve. Replacing the ignitor may resolve the problem, if it infact the problem.

You can replace the ignitor yourself. First unplug the appliance. Remove the ovens lower panel and the flame spreader. The spreader is the metal plate attached to the top of the burner. It will have a wing nut securing it to the burner.

Loosen or remove the screws securing the glow ignitor to the burner. Be aware that in some cases the entire burner must be removed to remove the ignitor.

Once the ignitor is accessed, follow the two wires attached to the ignitor back to there connection point. At the end farthest from the ignitor will be a wire pull apart quick disconect. Disconnect the ignitor connection at that point.

Install the new ignitor exactly as you found the existing igntior. Replace each part in reverse order. Plug in the appliance back into the electrical source and turn the appliance on. The new ignitor should now glow and the oven burner should now work.

Be advise that some new replacement ignitors do not come with quick disconnect ends. In this case, it's okay to cut off the quick disconnect from the old ignitor and attach it to the new ignitor.

Simple clip off the wires several inches above the disconnect on the old ignitor, attach to the wires of the new ignitor and wire nut the two ends together.

Repeat the process to attach the other set of wires and wire nut them together. There is no postive nor negative {polarity} to be concerned with. Read the instructions contained with the new ignitor and follow those instructions exactly.

Glow ignitors are fragile & will break easily. Handle and install the new ignitor carefully. Glow ignitors are a non returnable and non refundable electric componet.

Be aware that it is very possible the gas valve is defective. A defective gas valve will cause the problem you are describing also. If this happens to be the case, the part must also be replaced.

Retail appliance parts dealers can also help determine what the possible problem may be. Bring the make, model and serial numbers. Appliance parts dealers are an excellent source for original replacement parts. Parts dealers are listed in the phone book under appliances.

Read the existing questions pertaining to ovens in this forum topic. Doing so will provide you with additional information on how to access the ignitor and install the replacement part.

If you need further assistance, use the REPLY button to add any additional information or ask additional questions after attempting the correctional method offered.

Regards & Good Luck. TCB4U2B2B Company Enterprises.
Web Site host & Gas Appliances Forum Moderator.
Energy Conservation Consultant & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: