Oven Spark Ignition Problem

Old 02-12-03, 10:03 PM
njc
Visiting Guest
Question Gas oven w/electronic ignition

I have a Caloric Heritage Series Gas Oven w/Electronic Ignition.
I can see the igniter sparks but the gas is probably not getting
to it to light my oven. The four burners all work just fine. All
igniters strike at the same time but only the oven burners do not
light when I turn on the knob. Can someone tell me what he/she thinks is the problem? Even though I've had it for eight years, it
(the oven) probably hasn't been used more than 15 to 20 times.
Thanks for any help I can get. Norma

Old 02-13-03, 08:02 PM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello Norma and Welcome to the Do It Yourself Web Site and my Gas Appliances forum.

Based on the information posted, which is rather good I might add, chances are the pilot assembly is restricted and or blocked.

If the sparker element is in good working order and the spark is hot enough to ignite the gas but no gas is coming out, the condition you're describing will be the problem condition the appliance has.

In this case the pilot assmbly has to be cleaned out. There are basically two methods, both of which can be rather difficult to explain in a text only format such as this one.

One method can be done without taking the assembly apart. It is often best accomplished using a pipe cleaner. [Yes. A pipe cleaner used to clean a tobacco smoking pipe] Inserting it into the pilot tube at the point where the flame appears.

Then into the tiny air entry holes {usually 2, 1 on each side further up the tube. These steps usually clears the restrictions.

The 2nd method requires the pilot assembly be removed and cleaned. The gas orifice is a thimble shaped part with a tiny hole or slot in it. Cleaning this samll part often resolves the problem.

The other possible problem is the part that supplies gas to the pilot assembly is defective. In this case that part, usually the thermostat but can be the gas valve is not a part that can be repaired. Replacement is the only solution.

In all the above cases, it does take some handy work to attempt to repair the problem once it can be determined. Often times it takes an experienced service person to determine the exact cause and perform the correct repair procedure.

Contacting the gas supplier often is the best method for determining the problem cause and hopefully correcting the problem. Not all gas suppliers do repairs but most do minor services like pilot cleaning etc. Contacting your supplier may be required and the best solution.

Retail appliance parts dealers can also help determine what the possible problem may be. Bring the make, model and serial numbers. Appliance parts dealers are an excellent source for original replacement parts.

Be sure to unplug the appliance and turn off the gas to the appliance before attempting repairs. Always check for gas leaks whenever a repair includes any connection of a gas part or gas supply.

If you need further assistance use the REPLY button. Doing so moves the topic back up to the top of the daily list automatically.

Regards & Good Luck. Web Site Host & Gas Appliances Topic Moderator. Tom_Bart. TCB4U2B2B.....Company Enterprises.
Energy Conservation Consulting Services & Gas Appliance Problem Diagnostics and Technician Services.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: