Dryer Problem

Old 02-18-03, 08:26 AM
christina-m
Visiting Guest
maytag gas dryer

I have a maytag gas dryer which was making the "classic rumbling noise". Took the fan blower out, the centre was rounded out, and replaced it. I can't get the drum to rotate anymore though. It was rotating fine before I started "to fix" my dryer. If I didn't put the blower fan on properly will it cause problems with the motor? It looks like the shaft driving the blower fan is run off of the same motor that turns the drum of the dryer. Of course I could have just spent too much time staring at this thing and really am just feeling too stubborn to call in a repairman. Please help!

Old 02-18-03, 05:58 PM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello Christina-M. Welcome to my Gas Appliances forum and our Do-It-Yourself Web Site.

The answer to your question is yes. The fan can be causing the problem and so can the drum, if not installed into the door panel.

Be sure the fan is not wedged or forced into the blower housing. The drum is correctly replaced into the front door panel. Either of these not reinstalled correctly will cause the drum to bind up.

Can you rotate the drum by hand? This can be accomplished with the door opened and attempting to turn the drum from inside. If the drum cannot be hand rotated, the dryer cabinet will have to be reopened and the fan assembly rechecked to verify if the blower fan is free to rotate within the housing.

This task is more easily accomplished when the belt tensioning pulley is held in a position to relieve some tensioning on the belt. Attempting to rotate the entire drum and motor by turning the blower fan cage can cause damage. Use caution.

Be sure the drum rollers or glide pads are in good condition. The upper section of the drum should be resting on the glide pads if the dryer uses glides or pads.

Possible helpful web site links:
http://www.applianceaid.com/dryers.html

http://www.american-appliance.com/service

If you need further assistance, use the REPLY button. Using this method moves the topic back up the list automatically.

DRYER SERVICE TIP:
It's always adviseable to clean the entire exhaust venting system every 2 years. Or during any dryer maintenance and or repairs.

Regards & Good Luck. TCB4U2B2B Company Enterprises
Tom_Bartco..."Fast...Fair...Friendly & Highly Proficient".....
Gas Appliances Forum Moderator, Energy Conservation Consultant & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Old 02-21-03, 04:06 PM
christina-m
Visiting Guest
ugh, I caved and called a repairman. just to find out that I had the belt in the "wrong groove" on the drum. darn.

Old 02-21-03, 04:35 PM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello: Christina

OOPS! Never dawned on me to mention rechecking the belts positioning on the drum and or the pulleys. I did mention holding the belt tensioning pulley so no tension was on the belt.

It's possible doing that may have offered a clue to you that the belt was not correctly installed on either the drum or the pulleys. And I have to assume the web sites either where not visited or offered little in the way of help.

On a positive note, your question, the actual problem cause and the solution will remain in the archives of this forum for others to read and learn from. Thanks for taking a few minutes of your time to post back the solution.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: