Flex line for dryer

Old 02-21-03, 03:39 PM
Angco
Visiting Guest
Flex line for dryer

I just installed a flexible gas line for a natural gas dryer. My question is I used pipe dope to seal the threads. I also used the pipe dope on the adapter threads where the union flare nuts connect to the adapter. NOTE: I did make sure that no dope was on the flare seats when I tightened them. I believe in being overly cautious! Am I correct in the proceedure that I used.

FYI The dope that I used was Rector sealant with tephlon, rated for natural gas

Old 02-21-03, 04:54 PM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Thumbs up

Hello: Angco

The use of thread compounds and pipe dopes are not often suggested to be used on flex connector threads by me.

You stated the reason well. You subconsciously must have realized or taken into consideration, that too much dope or threading compounds can cause restrictions to the flow of gas.

If you used compounds of any kind only on the threads and insured that none would restrict the flow of gas or travel into the gas valve, all should be fine.

In my opinion, oil, of any type, brand or grade, would have worked equally as well. Having used this method for years, never was any problem noted as a result of doing so.

The results should be fine and no problems should develope as a result of the connecting. Be sure the flex is not kinked, bent or crimped when returning the dryer to it's location.

Do like wise if the venting tubing is plastic. Often times the plastic venting tubing becomes crimped, bent or kinked as a result of moving the dryer back into ti's location.

Any air flow restrictions will cause major problems. Be sure the flapper vent hood is in good working order and the entire venting system, whether it is plastic or metal tubing, is free of all lint. Like wise for the inside of the dryer cabinet, surrounding area, etc.

Regards, Web Site Host & Multiple Topic Moderator.
TCB4U2B2B Company Enterprises. Energy Conservation Consultant & Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: