Install Gas Stove

Old 02-24-03, 07:26 AM
marks
Visiting Guest
Install Gas Stove

I am planning (hoping) to add a new stove to a existing gas line. It is the old black pipes that connects to the gas meter. The lines travels from the basement up the back hall and into the attic, where it splits off to two locations.

I was wondering if it is possible to chop off the pipe before it hits and attic and connect a gas stove it it. It is a easy cut and would be quick for a plumber to do. I was wondering if it is to code to do this? Currently the meter is off. I am trying to decide if I want to do eletric or gas stove for this apartment.

Thanks
mike

Old 02-24-03, 05:24 PM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello: Mike

I am not a plumber nor would I know what the codes are in your area. However, if you are going to tee into an existing gas line, contact the local building and or safety department prior to starting the project. Codes vary widely and may apply differently to multiple unit housing.

Another consideration is load. Load meaning gas load and how many appliances are already drawing gas thru that pipe and from that gas meter. Gas meter capacity, pipe diameter and pipe length if distance {footage} all matter.

Contact the gas utility to determine if the existing meter can carry any additional load based upon it's current size. It's possible the existing meter can carry the additional gas draw capacity. If not, the gas utility will have to install a higher capacity meter.

For additional information, read a few of the existing questions within this forum regarding stove/range connecting and those within the plumbing forum.

Regards & Good Luck, Forum Host & Multiple Topic Moderator.
TCB4U2B2B Company Enterprises. Energy Conservation Consultant & Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Old 02-24-03, 08:22 PM
marks
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the reply. I reread my original post and I should of written that I am going to use a plumber, I just want to know what some of my options are. ie maybe a code says that once a meter is off it can't be turned back on, a new line needs to be run. Or something similar. As far as devices, I am planning on having a water heater (in basement), furance (in basement), and the stove on 3 floor if I don't get sticker shock with the outcome.

thanks

Old 02-25-03, 05:32 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Once the meter is off, it needs to be inspected by the local gas company. The plumber altering the existing gas line will (most likely) need a permit and the gas company would still inspect.

Your plumber will figure out the best run for, but you seem to have a good idea of what needs to be done.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: