Oven Ignition Problem

Old 02-24-03, 02:08 PM
spell
Visiting Guest
Question Magee gas range oven ignitor

Hello! I've jusy found your forum and I've a question that no one I've talked to seems to be able to answer - at least very helpfully.
My Magee gas range and oven are probably one of the last models they built before going out of business. Are there any kinds of after market or generic parts still available to repair it?
I really don't want to replace it - it has a center burner (5th) which I use a lot for canning. The main problem seems to be the oven ignitor. It doesnt work, although there is gas coming to the pilot when I turn it on

Old 02-24-03, 05:46 PM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello spell. Welcome to my Gas Appliances topic and our Do-It-Yourself Web Site.

I am not familar with that exact brand name appliance. I would also need some additional and specific information on the appliance.

Type of ignitor. Hot surface glowing ignitor or sparking ignition?
A pilot flame that remains on constantly? Or is lit by one of the ignitors above?
Appliance age.
Fuel type {natural gas or propane?}
Usually the local appliance parts stores can provide you with parts or other places to obtain or search for parts. Inquire there.

Retail appliance parts dealers can also help determine what the possible problem may be also. They will need the make, model and serial numbers.

Appliance parts dealers are an excellent source for original replacement parts. Dealers are listed in the phone book under appliances.

Use the REPLY button to add the requested additional information. Doing so will automatically keep the question at the top of the list.

Regards & Good Luck, Forum Host & Multiple Topic Moderator.
TCB4U2B2B Company Enterprises. Energy Conservation Consultant & Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Old 02-27-03, 02:54 PM
spell
Visiting Guest
Magee gas range oven ignitor

Tom, Hope I'm posting this the way I'm supposed to. As you might guess, forums are a new thing for me. Further info about the Magee gas range, as taken from manufacturers tag:
Boston Stove Lot A
Model Lyn 1130 8W M-1-w serial # 1012 - at least, I think this is what it says. Kind of old and hard to read. Is there any kind of universal igniter? I have a feeling that's my last, best hope.

Old 02-27-03, 05:34 PM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello: Spell

Not exactly the kind of information that is speifically helpful to me nor that I can use to help diagnose a problem with. However, now that you found the manufacturers rate and info plate, you can take that information to your local appliance parts store and obtain the information you're requesting.

Depending on the specific type of ignitor there is a generic all purpose one available to replace the current one. Your term ignitor indicates to me it is the glowing hot surface type.

I could be incorrect since you did not mention what type it is.
There are several varities of ignition sources used. A glowing ignitor indicates the appliance is not as old as you indicate.

Hot surface ignitors are readily available.

The fact that you mentioned gas is coming out to the pilot indicates the appliance does not have a glowing ignitor. That being the case, gas coming out of the pilot, it must have a sparking ignitor to light the pilot.

Spark ignitors are also readily available.

The answer to the question where to local parts is explained in the fourth paragraph of my original reply. Check with your locall appliance parts dealers listed in the phone book or phone directory, depending upon your location on the rock we call earth.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: