Gas dryer drum(?) not rotating

Old 02-27-03, 06:44 PM
sorta clueless
Visiting Guest
Gas dryer drum(?) not rotating

Bear with me because as my name suggests I'm sorta clueless. We have an old, old (1965 I think) gas dryer. Today I put a load in and a little while later heard a thumping type noise. I checked the dryer and sure enough the drum (?) wasn't rotating. I was able to move it with my hands with no problem, but it would not turn otherwise.

I'm willing to take it apart or whatever, but will need very detailed instructions-lol!

Thanks in advance!

By the way-Great site!!!!!!!

Sponsored Links
Old 02-28-03, 04:40 AM
borhaaa
Visiting Guest
I don't know what brand of dryer you have but it sounds like it could be a couple of thinks.

question: can you hear the motor running when you try to start it?

if so it sounds like your belt broke for some reason (maybe just old)

I'd check that first.
ryan

Old 02-28-03, 06:13 PM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Hello sorta clueless. Welcome to my Gas Appliances forum and our Do-It-Yourself Web Site.

Based on the problem description, I also suggest you check for a broken belt. Below are some web site pictures which may help.

BELT REPLACEMENT PICS:
http://www.applianceaid.com/ge-dryers.html#belt

http://www.applianceaid.com/slideged.html

You'll need to copy and past the links above into your browsers address bar to obtain the web pages, since the codes are turned off in this forum.

If you need further assistance, use the REPLY button to add any additional information or ask additional questions. Be sure to post back the results of your findings before asking additional questions.

Be sure the electrical power and the gas to the appliance is turned off, before attempting any repairs.

Regards & Good Luck, Web Site Host & Multiple Topic Moderator.
TCB4U2B2B Company Enterprises. Energy Conservation Consultant & Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

DRYER SERVICE TIP:
It's always adviseable to clean the entire exhaust venting system every 2 years. Or during any dryer maintenance and or repairs.