Top Burner Ignition Problem

Old 03-01-03, 04:42 AM
howard17
Visiting Guest
Thermador PRG 304 solenoid problem?

The two right burners ignite quickly. The "snap" the ignitors make starts as soon as you turn the knob. However, on the left side (side the the Thermador XLO) burners, the ignitors do not seem to be as quick...therefore sometimes I get a small gas buildup in the drip tray before it ignites...also the "snap" only happens once..maybe twice to light the flame. I have cleaned the holes and lightly sanded around the cap to make sure cleaning wasn't the issue. Someone told me that this model has solenoids on the left side for the XLO burners...Do I need a new solenoid?
Thanks in Advance!

Old 03-01-03, 08:49 AM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello Howard. Welcome to my Gas Appliances topic and our Do-It-Yourself Web Site.

I suspect that brand and model has two seperate individual spark modules. The part you're referring to as a solenoid is the sparking module.

If you find only one module, it may contain within it two sparking systems, one system acting as two or a redondant system. In either or case, the most likely cause for the condition described is a weak module.

Providing all other systems, electrical connections, sparkers and switches, on the the top burner valves, are in good working order.

Also providing the fuel air mixtures, for those two burners on that side, are adjusted correclty. Too rich or too lean an air to fuel mixture will also cause that type of problem to occur.

Proper burner adjustment is when the flames are all blue but not forcefully blowing or so small so as to be undersized for the rating of the burner. This adjustment is almost always done by visual appearance, flame size, ignition time and experience.

Retail appliance parts dealers can also help determine what the possible problem may be also. They will need the make, model and serial numbers.

Appliance parts dealers are an excellent source for original replacement parts. Dealers are listed in the phone book under appliances.

Be sure the electrical power to the appliance is turned off, the thermostat is turned down and the gas control valve is in the off postion before attempting any repairs. Always check for gas leaks when ever a repair includes any connection of a gas part.

If you need further assistance, use the REPLY button to add any additional information or ask additional questions. Doing so will automatically keep your question at the top of the forum list.

Regards & Good Luck, Forum Host & Multiple Topic Moderator.
TCB4U2B2B Company Enterprises. Energy Conservation Consultant & Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Old 03-02-03, 04:27 PM
howard17
Visiting Guest
Thank you...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: