Oven ignition problem

Old 03-05-03, 12:33 PM
vince_s7
Visiting Guest
Oven ignition problem

I have a Tappan range model TGF362BBBD and have
had problems with the oven igniting.
The problem is that the oven makes a loud bang when igniting the flame. I have been told that this is due to the ignitor and also because of the gas valve. Both have been replace and the problem continues. I have had to change ignitors at least once a year. Each time the ignitor is changed the problem seems to go away for a while then returns.

I don't mind changing the ignitor but I do mind the oven banging.

How can I fix this range correctly. So far Tappan or Sears has not been able to fix it correctly and each time the fix is made it works just enough to cover the repair warranty.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-05-03, 07:59 PM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Delayed Ignition

Hello Vince. Welcome to my Gas Appliances forum and our Do-It-Yourself Web Site.

The banging noise may not be caused by the gas valve nor the ignitor. Most likely caused by restricted ignition ports or a defective burner, etc.

The condition is known as "Delayed Ignition." Which means the gas is ignited much too long after it begins coming out of the burner. A condition that must be corrected.

To correct the problem, most likely the burner will have to be removed from the oven and cleaned. First, unplug or turn off the the electrical power to the appliance.

The ignitor should be removed next. Carefully. Ignitors are fragile.
Once the ignitor is removed, remove the burner and clean all the holes or slots. The holes or slots are called ports.

To clean them may require a thin blade or wire depending on the type of ports the burner has. Pay special attention to the ports near the ignitor. Those are where the gas exists first to provide positive ignition.

Once all this is done, reinstall the burner and attach the hot surface ignitor exactly as it currently is. Problem now should be solved....

If the burner is aluminium, chances are the ignition port is a slot. If so and the slot is restricted too much or the burner is in poor condition, it should be replaced.

An excellent source for original replacement parts is your local retail appliance parts store. Appliance parts dealers carry replacement parts for all appliances.

Bring the make, model and serial numbers and stop in at the store. Parts dealers are listed in the phone book.

There are several other questions within this forum on this subject of delayed ingition. Reading them should provide additional information.

If you need further assistance use the REPLY button. Doing so moves the topic to the top of the daily list automatically.

Last edited by Sharp Advice; 12-03-10 at 04:08 AM.
Old 12-02-10, 10:53 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Delayed Ignition

Tom B.
We are having the same trouble with a loud bang every now and then. My husband took out the burner and the ports were not blocked. The ignitor glows and then lights the burner. Now that he put it back together is taking longer to light - it is taking 2 min. and 10 sec. to light. We haven't had the loud bang yet - but that only happened every few times I used the oven. Any other suggestions.

Old 12-03-10, 04:26 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Hello swordfam and Welcome to the Do It Yourself Web Site and the Gas Appliances topic.

The problem description indicates one of the typical symptoms of a weak glow igniter. (HSI) Over time the HSI becomes weak glowing. Which means it takes much longer to reach a hot enough temperature to open the gas control valve and ignite the gas.

Replacing the HSI (Hot Surface Igniter) more then usually resolves the problem of both taking a longer then normal time to open the gas valve. And positively igniting the burner when the gas comes out of the gas control valve. Which cause the bang or minor explosion sound.

Instruction on how to replace the igniter are located >HERE< in the sticky note. Find the post(s) number (#'s) that explains in full details the HSI and how to replace it step by step.

Retail parts dealers and appliances parts stores can also help determine what the possible problem may be based upon that specific brand and model. Bring the make, model and serial numbers. Dealers and appliances parts stores are listed in the phone book.

Cautionary Reminder Note:
Before attempting any repairs, be sure to unplug the appliance from the wall receptacle power source first.

I do not suggest buy the HSI on line. They vary slightly for each brand and or model. Your local appliance parts store will have an OEM part made specifically for the brand and model. Most will offer other helpful suggestions and or advice.

Use the reply button to add additional information, questions and post back the results of the repair. Using the reply button keeps or moves the topic back up to the top of the list automatically and keeps all communications on this subject in this thread.

Old 02-26-11, 01:46 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
re: oven ignition problem

Just wanted to say thank you! My husband was able to replace our ignitor. The oven has not been banging and it seems to have solved our problem. Your help was greatly appreciated! (Chocolate Chip Cookies are now in the oven baking) The whole family thanks you too!