Water Heater Question

Old 03-06-03, 06:10 AM
drebhun
Visiting Guest
Hot Water Heater/Cold Shower

The last 2 mornings I have had to take luke warm showers. After taking the shower I turned on the faucet in the same bathroom and did get very hot water out of the faucet.
About a year ago I flushed the hot water heater.
My hot water heater is only 5 years old.

I guess I could flush the hot water heater again, but what else could be the problem? Could the shower have some sort of problem.

I just asked my wife to also check other areas of the house and I will investigate it more tonight.

But any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Doug

Old 03-07-03, 03:10 AM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello: drebhun

Based on the fact that the shower faucet is the only faucet that has this problem, if I am reading you're question correctly, chances are the faucet is a cartridge type single handle model and the cartridge is defective.

The best possible method to determine what the problem may be, in my opinion, is to check all other possibilities before suspecting the water heater. Replacing the faucet or the cartridge may resolve the problem.

I am not a plumber. To possibly help you further, I have also copied this question into the "Plumbing" forum. Our resident plumber professional may have addition information.

If you need further assistance, use the REPLY button to add any additional information or questions, etc. Using this method also moves the topic back up to the top of the list automatically.

Read the prior questions, within this forum and those within the plumbing forum, on this topic of water heaters and the replies offered. In them you'll find plenty of additional information.

Regards & Good Luck. Web Site Host & Gas Appliances Forum Moderator. Tom_Bart......TCB4U2B2B Company Enterprises.
Energy Conservation Consultant & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Old 03-07-03, 05:17 AM
drebhun
Visiting Guest
Hot Water Heater/Cold Shower

Thank you Tom,

It is looking more like the hot water heater.

My wife has also noticed that she is running out of hot water faster than normal when she takes a bath.

This morning the shower had hot water but it was for a lot shorter time than in the past.

Like I said before - last year I flushed the water heater and it has almost been a year - so maybe it is time to do it again.

Doug

Old 03-07-03, 05:40 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Drebhun,
Flushing may or may not cure the problem. The element(s) could be coated with a thick layer of scale and recuce the heating capacity. Check both elements for continuity.
As an example. With my last tank, I removed about one bucket of mineral deposits (by hand, through the lower element opening with a make-shift tool.
If you replace elements get the incolloy or teflon coated ones.

fred

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: