Gas Range Venting


  #1  
Old 03-11-03, 07:45 AM
Jeff Placzek
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Gas Range Venting

Hi, I have 3 questions...

We have a gas range (several year old whirlpool). It does not have a venting hood, or any other form of venting that I can tell. What SHOULD it have. Is it possible that one doesn't need to vent gas range? Do they somehow direct vent like a gas fireplace? A venting hood doesn't seem like it does much (from the ones I've seen).

Also, when lighting the top burners, sometimes the "little clicky guys" click and light the burner, sometimes they just don't click. When they click, it lights, when they don't click, well, it doesn't light.

Whenever we turn on the oven, there is a gas smell for a couple of minutes. I grew up with a stove that did the same thing.. So I don't know what I SHOULD be expecting with regards to a smell.. Should there be one or not?

Thanks for your expertise.
 
  #2  
Old 03-11-03, 10:07 AM
Sharp Advice's Avatar
Admin Emeritus
Join Date: Feb 1998
Location: The Shake and Bake State USA
Posts: 9,927
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello Jeff and Welcome to my Gas Appliances topic.

Range and or cooking stoves do not require a venting hood above them. Simply because these appliance are not automatically operated nor remotely operated.

Additionally, cooking stoves and ranges do not produce high levels of fumes and or carbon monoxides, so venting is not required in many areas of this ROCK with call EARTH.

They are classified as manually operated since you have to be there to turn them on and turn them off. Therefore, ranges and cooking stoves are not required to have a venting system.

If the sparking ignitors work sporactically, check the for cleanliness and clean are needed. Use a tiny brush and do not use any type of cleaning product or liquid of any kind.

If doing that does not resolve the problem, it's possible there is a bad wire connection at the sparker or at the switch on top of the valve stem. The electrical power must be off to check and or clean the switches and or wire connections or contacts.

Always possible one or more of those switches is defective. An ohm meter can be used to check for continuity. Electrical power has to be off first.

The ovens odor smell at light up is often caused by residue buildup on the igntion ports of the burner. The ports are those holes or slots right next to the sparker and pilot flame on the burner tube. Cleaning them usually resolves that problem.

Retail appliance parts dealers can also help determine what the possible problem may be for that sporadic sparker problem also. They will need the make, model and serial numbers.

Appliance parts dealers are an excellent source for original replacement parts. Dealers are listed in the phone book under appliances.

Be sure the electrical power to the appliance is turned off, before attempting any repairs.

If you need further assistance, use the REPLY button to add any additional information or ask additional questions. Doing so will automatically keep your question at the top of the forum list.

Regards & Good Luck. TCB4U2B2B.....Company Enterprises
Tom_Bartco....."Fast.....Fair.....Friendly & Highly Proficient".....
Doityourself Web Stie Host & Gas Appliances Forum Moderator
Energy Conservation Consultant & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.
 
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
 
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: