Range Venting Question

Old 03-13-03, 12:31 AM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: USA
Posts: 51
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
stovetop venting and distance question

wanted to know if i can vent a stovetop through some sort of ductwork. the stovetop will be appox 15' to an outside wall. the ceilings are currently open and thought perhaps i could run something between the floor joists? and if so what? also, how do i determin the strength(?) of the vent i need?
thanks in advance.
Old 03-13-03, 03:08 AM
Sharp Advice's Avatar
Admin Emeritus
Join Date: Feb 1998
Location: The Shake and Bake State USA
Posts: 9,927
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello: stephen001

I highly doubt a standard type range or cooking stove exhaust vent can be used, above the appliance, to vent the fumes though a vent to an outside wall.

The fan force of an overhead, above the range vent hood, is not powerful enough to do that. These types of vent hood are designed to vent vertically upwards the entire distance to the outside.

Same applies to an under the floor venting system. Not enough force from the blower fan to draw fumes downwards from above the stove/range to force the air below floor level to outside or under the sub flooring.

Regular / standard metal ducting used with a forced air heating system is used. You'll need to use a system like those found on a jenn-air range with a built in venting system.

To gather some ideas on how venting systems are designed and operate, I suggest you do some shopping at local appliance retail stores, home centers and kitchen design businesses to see how venting systems are installed.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: