Dryer Noise Problem

Old 03-13-03, 08:02 AM
Shrades
Visiting Guest
Question Dryer buzzes but doesn't always start

Hi folks,
Recently, our Kenmore dryer motor started getting louder (humming/buzzing type of sound). Now when you push the start button, it buzzes for a moment and starts...BUT, when it finishes or you stop it, it won't re-start...it just buzzes!? I thought maybe it would magically reset itself if I unplugged it and plugged it back in...It did start again but only after sitting awhile (15 minutes or so).
QUESTION: Is the motor getting too hot? Did it need to cool? What is the loud humming/buzzing?
Any ideas and or suggestions will be greatly appreciated!!
Thanks

Old 03-13-03, 05:52 PM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello Shrades. Welcome to my Gas Appliances forum and our Do-It-Yourself Web Site.

Chances are the motors starter windings are defective. Remove the motor and have it tested at any electrical motor repair shop listed in the local phone book.

Be sure to make a hand drawn diagram of how the belt loops over and under every pulley before removing the belt. You'll be gald you did.

Belt Pic:
http://www.applianceaid.com/images/belt-config.JPG

Also inspect and replace if needed the pads or glides the drum rotates on and clean out the entire venting system. Clean out the entire inside of the cabinet while the appliance is apart.

Retail appliance parts dealers can also help determine what the possible problem may be also. Bring the make, model and serial numbers. Appliance parts dealers are an excellent source for original replacement parts.

Dealers can perform tests and stock replacement parts for all appliances. Parts dealers are listed in the phone book under appliances.

These prior asked questions and any or all the replies offered within them contain almost all the required information needed pertaining to possible problems with the dryer unit like your describing.

If you need further assistance, use the REPLY button to add any additional information or ask additional questions. Be sure to post back the results of your findings before asking additional questions.

Regards & Good Luck, Web Site Host & Multiple Topic Moderator.
TCB4U2B2B Company Enterprises. Energy Conservation Consultant & Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Old 03-20-03, 06:15 AM
Shrades
Visiting Guest
UPDATE! Bad Motor!-I don't think so

well, my didn't have faith in my repair abilities, so she called a "Repair man"...he said BAD Motor! I called him and asked exactly what...he said BAD WINDINGS. Okay, Beats me...I unhooked everything from the motor (except wires) started right up! I even tried to "load it down" by clamping a vice grip on it...that motor works great!
NOW WHAT? switch? ...?

Old 03-20-03, 04:41 PM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello: Shrades

Don't think it's the motor? The load you placed on it was not much of a load test. Nor did it allow the motor to heat up. Both of which cause the problem you are describing.

If you suspect the switch, replace it. The switch does not cost all that much and is not difficult to replace. If it does not resolve the problem, at least you have a new one.

If replacing the switch does not resolve the problem, it's the motor. Not likely but possible, one of the pulleys is defective, has a defective bearing or gets frozen up after it warms up.

Excessive drag of the drum will cause the motor to work to hard, it will than overheat and cause problems like you are describing.

HINT:
It's the motor if you are asking me but try the switch.

Old 03-21-03, 05:58 AM
Shrades
Visiting Guest
Must be the MOTOR!

I should've listened to you in the first place! I removed the switch disassembled it/cleaned the contacts (witch some looked "burnt") and reinstalled it...all I got was the same buzzing sound when trying to start it! I guess I'll replace the motor after all!

NOTE: The felt seal at the rear of the drum...does it matter if its brown with rusty residue? the drum rotates, but how easily should it spin? the pully's rotate freely...(oh yah, the dryer was subjected to approx 10" of flood water back in 97!)

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: