Furnace Carbon Monoxide

Old 03-15-03, 07:26 PM
jonnybb1
Visiting Guest
Question Wll Furnace and Carbon Monoxide

I just got a home inspection done on a resale home built in 1956 in San Diego. The inspector says the wall furnace showed more than 2000 ppm for CO output at the top f the wall furnace.

The vent pipe wasn't clogged so he said the heater needs to be replaced. I don't have the make and model, but I remember it was a greyish brown color with a separate thermostat, and it looked to be 10-15 years old, with no paint chipping or pealing.

Does anyone know if this can be repaired or is it best to get a new one??

Jonnybb1
john@lantexco.com

Old 03-15-03, 08:05 PM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello Jonnybb1. Welcome to my Gas Appliances topic.

At the CO level recorded and the described condition, it is possible the furnace is beyond it's normal service life and no longer repairable.

However, with that low of a reading, it is also possible some minor professional servicing can reduce the CO level. Some units only require minor burner and venturi cleaning.

While other units air fuel ratio adjustments, a check of the btu input and or built in gas regulator pressure may lower the CO levels to within acceptable levels.

Often times, if the unit is still in good physical condition, the firebox intact and undamaged, everything adjusted correctly and venting properly, a real professional can make any and all needed minor adjustments to reduce the CO levels.

BTW: A challenge to do so which was always welcomed by me when I was working in the field..... Now forever & hopelessly stuck in a cube behind the desk...

Best suggestion I could offer you is to have the SDG&E company make a home service call to retest the appliance and make the required adjustments if any are possible and the unit is in good physical and mechanical condition.

If you need further assistance, use the REPLY button to add any additional information or ask additional questions. Attempt the repair solutions or correctional method provided first.

Regards & Good Luck, Web Site Host & Multiple Topic Moderator.
TCB4U2B2B Company Enterprises. Energy Conservation Consultant & Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Old 03-18-03, 07:11 PM
firsthvac
Visiting Guest
WOW!!!! 2000 ppm? That's more than twice the lethal level. Carbon Monoxide levels must be less than a maximum of 30 ppm for prolonged exposure with as low as 12 ppm causing CO poisoning in some individuals.

With a wall furnace that old, have it inspected by a licensed experienced reputable service company. It's possible that minor adjustments to the fuel/air mixture along with cleaning to the burner and heat exchanger could bring the level down to acceptable. It's also possible that there is an inadequate fresh air supply to support the burning needs of the furnace.

If there is ANY doubt...replace the furnace and don't take the chance with your life.

Old 03-18-03, 07:35 PM
jonnybb1
Visiting Guest
Arrow

Ok, He told me when he placed the co detector meter near the heater it pegged his meter, and I understood him to say is was at 2000ppm. Maybe it was 200. None the less, it was very high. We are asking the seller to replace the unit and not to fix it, so a special thanx goes out to all for the replies!

John Berry

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: