Oven Ignition Problem

Old 03-22-03, 11:11 AM
jax911
Visiting Guest
Arrow gas oven will not ignite

as of last week my kenmore gas range suddenly stopped working properly. the stove top works just fine, however, the oven just seemed to stop working. i have found that my stove uses a norton glowbar for ignition. i do not hear any gas when turning the knob to turn on the oven but the glowbar gets hot. i would hope someone could tell me what is the most likely source of my problem, being that it apparantly occurred after using the oven without problems for less than a week. help is appreciated!!

Last edited by jax911; 03-22-03 at 11:34 AM.
Old 03-22-03, 07:59 PM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hot Surface Ignitor

Hello jax911 and Welcome to the Do It Yourself Web Site and my Gas Appliances forum.

If the oven has a hot surface ignitor, read the Robertson2000 question. I just finished posting a reply to the same or similar question as yours.

Also read several other questions on the subject of ovens. Doing so will provide you with enough information to determine what the problem is and how to correct it.

If you need further assistance use the REPLY button. Doing so moves the topic back up to the top of the daily list automatically.

Regards & Good Luck. Web Site Host & Gas Appliances Topic Moderator. Tom_Bart. TCB4U2B2B.....Company Enterprises.
Energy Conservation Consulting Services & Gas Appliance Problem Diagnostics and Technician Services.

Old 03-23-03, 07:27 AM
jax911
Visiting Guest
Question a little reasurance needed

i have read the post you replied to "robertson2000". verrrry helpful. i had almost assumed the glow ignition was not the problem because is was getting hot, however, it definately is not glowing any color.

so.....here's the question:
i cannot smell any gas or hear it. is this something to be concerned with despite the obvious need for a $90 norton glow bar part?

edited........................................

i just tried it again and now....all of the sudden the glowbar is glowing a bright yellow and approx. 30 sec. later the gas started flowing. i have yet to put the oven back together to check for proper working order, though. perhaps i knocked a sticky part loose or jiggled a loose connection when dismantling.....
i'll let you know if it works.

kinda goes back to my childhood when i used to take things apart and put them back together only to find that the device worked when it did not previously.

Last edited by jax911; 03-23-03 at 07:44 AM.
Old 03-23-03, 08:27 AM
Admin Emeritus
Hello: jax911

If the hot surface glow ignitor suddenly started to glow when it did not do so before, it may have been an incorrect selected setting, function and or optional selectable selection on the front glass control panel.

It could have been a loose wire connection but not likely if no wires where touched prior, the appliance was not moved or there was no other attempts to fix it, etc.

If nothing changed physically with the appliance, as outlined above, chances are wires and connections are not likely to be the cause of the problem.

There is always to possibility the temp selection control, {thermostat} is defective. The temp control uses internal contact points to make the electrical connections to other componets, etc.

The thermostat not only controls temp but also activates the switch that sends current to the hot surface ignitor and gas valve.

Which means, if the problem happens again, you may need to do a continuity check on all the wires, connections and componets to verify if they are working as they should be, etc.

Dealers can perform tests on parts which are suspected to be the problem. Parts dealers are listed in the phone book.

Be sure to unplug the power first. Each wire should be checked through it's entire length. Check each electrical connection, terminal and junction connection. Also check for loose wires between the glow coil, gas valve and every switch.

Also check for electrical continuity through the fuse. The fuses element may visually appear to be unbroken but electrically not functioning internally. The fuse is generally located at the end of the electrical power cord close to the oven burner gas valve.

FYI #1:
The do-it-yourself person can do electrical tests and continuity tests on several of the parts often used in ovens. However, neither of these tests will provide proof positive the part being tested is actually functioning correctly. Do not rely solely on either test.

FYI #2:
Hot surface glow ignitors do not allow gas to flow to the burner if the glow ignitor isn't working or does not work correctly. Therefore, no gas will come out of the burner, so rest easy.

TIP:
The only positive proof any part is functioning correctly, is to carefully remove the part or parts you suspect to be the potential problem, and have the local appliance parts store person run the required tests to help make the final determination.

Old 03-23-03, 10:20 AM
jax911
Visiting Guest
fixed for now

i put the oven back together...and kabam! it works! yay....

i appreciate your post on potential other causes....if the problem occurs again, at least i will now have the presence of mind to suspect the thermostat...

thanks again....great message board, very helpful.

Old 03-23-03, 08:54 PM
Admin Emeritus
Thumbs up Happy Camper Success Story

Hello: Jax

I just added you to the long list of other "Happy Campers"...

On behalf of myself and anyone else who contributes helpful advice in my "Gas Appliances" forum, I'd like to express thanks to you for taking your valuable time to reply back in the forum.

Glad you success correcting the problem.

Regards and Thanks. Web Site Host & Gas Appliances Topic Moderator. Tom_Bart. TCB4U2B2B.....Company Enterprises.
Energy Conservation Consulting Services & Gas Appliance Problem Diagnostics and Technician Services.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: