Water Heater Question

Old 03-25-03, 09:40 PM
SedonaHandyman
Visiting Guest
Question cleaning a propane-fueled water heater

I cleaned the calcium carbonate deposits out of a gas water heater a long time ago, and I don't recall exactly how I did it. It seems I may have removed the heater from the mobile home it was in; drained it; put some Lime-Away or C-L-R in solution with some water into the tank, let it sit for a while, agitated it, then drained it again. Does this sound reasonable? The owner of the mobile didn't do any maintenance on the heater for three years, and is now having her renters of that mobile complain about the heater, which (at the medium heat setting) activates the pressure relief valve each morning, just when they need to use it.

The PR Valve has been replaced, though I still don't know why it is being activated (I guess the calcium buildup is the major part of the problem).

Any suggestions?

I just joined this forum, and it looks like a good place to find out about handyman/do-it-yourself problems and their solutions.

Thanks! --Martin Ball

Old 03-26-03, 03:30 AM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello Martin Ball. Welcome to my Gas Appliances forum and our Do-It-Yourself Web Site.

Personally, I would not recommend using any type of chemical inside the tank for any reason.

Sediment flushing can be accomplished without the usage of chemicals. Residues left inside the tank may cause more harm in the long term than the rust, calcium, sediments and hard water deposits.

If the water is getting so hot that the pressure/temp relief valve is opening to release water, chances are good the temperature sense on the thermostat control is rusted up to a point where it cannot accurately sense the internal water temperature.

If that is the case, two choices. Replace the control and or replace the entire tank. Tank replacement may be the only best solution if the tank is more than 6-10 years old.

An excellent source for original replacement parts is your local retail appliance parts store. Appliance parts dealers stock replacement parts for all appliances. Parts dealers are listed in the phone book under appliances.

Retail parts dealers can also help determine what the possible problem may be. Bring the make, model and serial numbers if you stop in at the store. The info will help to determine the possible problem causes.

If you need further assistance, use the REPLY button to add any additional information or questions, etc. Using this method also moves the topic back up to the top of the list automatically.

Check the prior postings, within this forum, on this topic of water heaters and the replies offered. In them you'll find additional information. Tank flushing method is contained in several prior asked questions.

Regards & Good Luck. Web Site Host & Gas Appliances Forum Moderator. Tom_Bart......TCB4U2B2B Company Enterprises.
Energy Conservation Consultant & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: