Gas Dryer - New Belt

Old 03-29-03, 07:47 AM
msussman
Visiting Guest
Question Gas Dryer - New Belt

I have a Kenmore gas dryer, about 20 yrs old. works fine, except for the drum drive belt that sort of shredded this morning. Looks like a fairly easy replacement, but i would like to know if there are any pitfalls that i ought to know in advance. Can the job get done through the small front bottom panel, or does the back have to be removed?
Thanks.
Mike Sussman
Pembroke Pines, FL

Old 03-29-03, 03:27 PM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello Mike Sussman. Welcome to my Gas Appliances forum and our Do-It-Yourself Web Site.

There are a few pitfalls to avoid when changing a belt. The biggest of which, in my opinion, is for the do it yourself person to fail to make a hand written drawing of exactly how the belt loops over, under and around the pulleys.

To answer your question, yes. You will have to open up the entire cabinet and remove the back access panel. Most likely remove or at least lift the drum up to get the new belt under the drum.

Be sure to note how the drum is installed into the support frame attached to the front panel which houses the door. There will also be some type of felt used to insulate the drum as it revolves.

The felt strip may also need to be replaced. Replacing the pads while having the cabinet apart is also a good idea. Removing all the accumulated lint inside the cabinet and all that is accumulated in the entire exhaust venting system is also recommended.

Be sure to unplug the appliance from the electrical power and turn off the gas at the gas valve before attempting any repairs.

An excellent source for orginal replacement parts is your local retail appliance parts store. Parts dealers are listed in the phone book. Bring the make, model and serial numbers if you stop in at the store. The info will help to determine the exact parts used in the model assembly line run.

In my opinion, buy OEM parts and NOT Generic or Universal, one size fits all, replacement parts. The money saved buying generic no brand name parts usually costs more in time, labor and future problems.

I always suggest buying the OEM specific part because I believe the part will last longer, function better during it's normal service life expectancy, most likely will fit and install correctly than any non OEM or generic part.

If you need further assistance, use the REPLY button. By doing so, the additional information you add or questions you may have, will remain within this posting. Using this method also moves the topic back up to the top of the list automatically.

Regards & Good Luck, Web Site Host & Multiple Topic Moderator.
TCB4U2B2B Company Enterprises. Energy Conservation Consultant & Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Online Web Site Dryer Belt Help and Pictures:

http://www.applianceaid.com/images/belt-config.JPG

http://www.applianceaid.com/slideged.html

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: