Pilot Problem

Old 03-31-03, 01:29 PM
xx0267
Visiting Guest
Question Propane Pilot won't light.

Propane Pilot won't light.

I've got an LP water heater in a vacation home. The supply tank ran empty and was not recharged for several months. Now when I try to re-light the pilot, per the manufacturer's instructions (which I've done a number of times in the past) there does not appear to be any gas coming from the pilot assembly. Other appliances are working (stove/furnace/dryer). Any hints to get this going again?

Thanks.

Old 03-31-03, 05:50 PM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello xx0267 and Welcome to our Do It Yourself Web Site and my Gas Appliances forum.

The most common reason why pilot gas will not come out of the pilot orifice in the burner assembly is rust and corrosion.

Gas appliances left unused in vacation homes etc will buildup rust and corrosion in the pilot assembly. To correct this type of problem, first remove the pilot tube from the control.

The tube is the thin aluminum tube on the right hand side under the control. Once it is removed, turn the control to the pilot position and depress the red reset button for 1 or 2 seconds.

Doing this is to insure that pilot gas is infact coming out of the control and is turned on at the inlet supply pipe. If gas does come out, the pilot assembly is clogged up.

The entire burner assembly will then have to be removed, the pilot assembly disassembled and cleaned out, reassembled and the entire burner assembly reinstalled back into the firebox.

Be sure to reinstall the burner assembly exactly as it current is. Burner assembly must be level and the leading edge at the front of the burner installed into the flange in the lower pan in the firebox.

Once all this is accomplished, soap test for minor gas leaks all the connection points you disassembled. The pilot must be on to leak test the pilot tubing connection and the burner must be on to test the burner tube.

If any of this is more difficult than you care to attempt, some gas supply companies provide this entire service free or for a very low fee. May just be worth the cost if not handy.

Be aware that during part disassemblies, parts break and screw threads strip and other assorted...OH NO's and AAH S***'s happen......new pilot and or burner parts may be needed.

An excellent source for original replacement parts is your local retail appliance parts store. Appliance parts dealers stock replacement parts for all appliances. Parts dealers are listed in the phone book under appliances.

Regards & Good Luck. Web Site Host & Gas Appliances Forum Moderator. Tom_Bart......TCB4U2B2B Company Enterprises.
Energy Conservation Consultant & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Old 03-31-03, 07:34 PM
xx0267
Visiting Guest
Thanks.

Thanks much for the info. I'll give it a look this weekend and try not to blow myself up.

Old 03-31-03, 08:24 PM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello: xx0267

Even though I know you meant blowing yourself up as figuratively speaking of course, I appreciate and like the touch of humor, you will not have to worry....all will be well.

The steps I suggested you take will not cause you any harm as long as the pilot in the tank is out and you do exactly as instructed.

Once you can determine that gas does come out of the pilot tubing connection location under the control, the pilot assembly is in fact plugged up. That is the purpose of the test.

Would not be of much value to attempt any repairs without first determine the cause of the problem exactly is. The steps I instructed you to do are those a professional would have to do or should do, and should do if they are really pros, first.

Makes no sense to make a repair only to later find out it was not the cause of the problem.... Doing so would be the work of those whom had no idea what the possible problem really is.

Which is not what you found our site for.... We on this web site are pros in our fields and can provide the members asking questions real professional advice.

A claim only our doityourself web site can make, which cannot be said for or matched by any other web sites of this kind..........

as the saying goes.....And that my friend you can "take to the bank".... Or is that "deposit in a bank"???....

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: