Dryer Noise Problem

Old 04-02-03, 07:19 AM
wendy9
Visiting Guest
westinghouse dryer belt problem?

Hi. We have an old White-westinghouse Space Mates Dryer. Recently, it started intermittingly making an awful high pitched noise when we ran it. My husband thought it sounded like a car belt going out. Then, yesterday, I heard a sort of thumping noise, and it basically stopped working. The drum now turns only very very slowly. We only need it to work for 6 more months, so we are inclined to try to fix it. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Old 04-02-03, 08:02 PM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello wendy9. Welcome to my Gas Appliances forum and our Do-It-Yourself Web Site.

Noise is a common problem when the drum rollers wear out on some models. Some dryers do not use rollers. Instead they use pads called gliders or sliders. Some dryers use both rollers and glider or slider pads in combination.

The noise may not be coming from only one worn out part. Therefore, I suggest you open up the dryers cabinet and remove the front panel. Look for signs of worn out parts mentioned above.

What the noise indicates is those parts have become wornout and the drum is rotating on the support bracket and not on the intended parts. To correct the condition, it will be necessary to replace any and all worn parts.

In order to accomplish this task, the dryers top and front panel will need to be removed. Attached to the front panel will be the drums support bracket. On most models the slider or glider pads will be located on the top of the support bracket.

Basically, what needs to be done is a replacement of all the rotating parts or parts that the drum rotates on and the belt also while the dryer is opened up and under repairs.

I highly suggest you clean out all lint inside the cabinet and clean out the entire exhaust system, while in the repair process.

Write down the make, model and serial numbers and visit the local appliance retail parts store in or near your home. There you will find the needed replacement parts and helpful information.

The noise may not be coming from only one worn out part.
Squealing noises may come from worn out motor bearings, a worn out belt or pulleys, fan blower cage, etc.

Regarding the belts positioning over, under and/or around the pulleys, my best suggestion is to make a hand drawing of the locations and positions prior to removing the old belt.

Refer to the drawing when installing the new replacement belt to be positive it is correctly positioned on the drum and routed on the pulleys. Then store that drawing within the dryers rear removable panel for future use.

While your attempting this do-it-yourself project, a few words of caution and suggestions may be in order.

Be sure to turn off the gas supply first. Unplug the appliance.

Appliance parts dealers carry replacement parts for all appliances and are listed in the phone book.

Read several of the already asked questions on dryers which are making noises within this forum. Doing so will provide you with plenty of additional information on the problem and how to correct it.

If you need further assistance, use the REPLY button to add any additional information or ask additional questions after attempting the correctional method or methods offered.

Regards & Good Luck, Forum Host & Multiple Topic Moderator.
TCB4U2B2B Company Enterprises. Energy Conservation Consultant & Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: