Oven Ignition Problem

Old 04-16-03, 11:52 AM
DeVore
Visiting Guest
Electric gas oven not igniting.

Nice forum with great info here.

I think my quesiton is answered in a similar thread about bad glowplugs, but I figured I'd shoot my issue out anyway. I've got an electric gas stove with sparkers for the range, and glowplugs in the oven for the broiler and oven elements.

A week ago I turned the oven on to heat up, came back 15 minutes later to find it was cold. No gas, though, which is good. So I opened the oven and fiddled around a little. Turning on the broiler I can see the glow plug heat up, and then the gas kicks on. But when I turn it back to the oven, I get nothing. I haven't removed anything from the bottom of the oven to see the glow plug.

So my question is: in ovens ignited in this way, does this symptom seem to indicate a bad glow plug? Is this something that a careful and detail-oriented person somewhat familiar with wiring can fix? Basically I'm trying to determine if this is something I should investigate, or if I should just make a call.

Thanks.

Old 04-16-03, 05:50 PM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Hot Surface Ignitor

Welcome DeVore to my Gas Appliances forum and the Do-It-Yourself Web Site.

Easy project to do it yourself. Unplug the appliance from the electrical power source first. The remove the glow ignitor.

Two small screws secure it to the burner assembly. Carefully pull the attached wires out of the hole thay pass thru and take the quick disconnect apart.

Take the ignitor with you to the local appliance parts store. Appliance parts sotres are listed in the phone book. Bring the make, model and serial numbers of the appliance also.

Purchase a new ignitor and install the new part exactly as the old part is currently installed. Once completed you will have the task completed and the oven will work properly once again.

Read a few of the existing question on the topic and oven problem to obtain additional information. You'll be glad you did. When the project is completed, locate this original question.

Click your question once again and it will reopen. Then click the Reply button and post back the successful results. Doing so helps us to know that the project went well and helps other to learn from your doityourself project....

Regards & Good Luck. Web Site Host & Gas Appliances Topic Moderator. Tom_Bart. TCB4U2B2B.....Company Enterprises.
Energy Conservation Consulting Services & Gas Appliance Problem Diagnostics and Technician Services.

Ignitor web site help links:

http://www.applianceaid.com/electrical_testing_tips.html

http://www.applianceaid.com/gas.html#gas-help

http://www.repairclinic.com/

Old 04-18-03, 02:29 PM
DeVore
Visiting Guest
Problem fixed.

Thanks for the assistance - problem solved, the oven works just fine.

Solution:

Unplugged the oven from the wall.

Opened oven, removed bottom plate from oven. This revealed a second metal plate. Removed two screws to remove this plate. This exposed the burner element and ignitor, mounted into the back of the oven.

Removed the two screws fixing the ignitor to the oven and carefully pulled the wires through the hole. Encountered ceramic wire nuts - unscrewed and removed ignitor and assembly from oven.

I then went to the local appliance parts store with the model number of the ignitor (fortunately this was the original ignitor on the unit, 'cuz I couldn't find the model number of the stove that easily.) Bought a new one for about $50.

Went back home, detached the quick disconnect from the old ignitor, attached it to the new ignitor. I needed to clip the wires on the new ignitor because it terminated in a plastic connector. After cutting the wires I stripped the ends.

Used new ceramic wirenuts to connect new wires to existing wires in the oven. Routed the wires back through the hole in the back of the oven and mounted the new ignitor.

I then plugged the oven back in, turned the oven on, and the ignitor glowed, gas came on, burner ignited. Success!

Questions:

- Is the ignitor supposed to glow continuously? I suppose so because 1) it needs to stay on in case the flames blow out, and 2) the ignitor on the broiler stays on.

- How does the oven "know" that the ignitor's on and it's okay to let the gas come through? Obviously this is a safety feature - I'm curious how it works. Is there a temperature sensor in the ignitor?

Thanks again for the assistance. Nice place here.

Old 04-19-03, 05:43 AM
jeff1
Visiting Guest
Cool

G'day,

Questions:

**- Is the ignitor supposed to glow continuously? I suppose so because 1) it needs to stay on in case the flames blow out, and 2) the ignitor on the broiler stays on.**

Yes, the ignitor stays on when the flame is on.

**- How does the oven "know" that the ignitor's on and it's okay to let the gas come through? Obviously this is a safety feature - I'm curious how it works. Is there a temperature sensor in the ignitor?**

No temp sensor in the ignitor, but the ignitor draws amperage power. Once the surface temperature is hot enough the ignitor is now drawing enough amperage to open the gas valve and allow the gas to flow in. Too low of amperage ( weak ) or no amperage( like yours ) and you get no gas flow.

Hope this helps,

jeff.

Old 04-19-03, 06:30 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Thumbs up Happy Camper Success Story

Hello: DeVore

Thanks for returning to my gas appliance forum, posting a step by step, well described and detailed reply, with the process on how you fixed the appliance.

In doing so, you shared with the many readers of this forum and your question on the required repair procedures to fix an appliance with a wornout hot surface ignitor.

Glad you had success doing so, as a do-it-yourself project.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: