Burner Ignition

Old 04-21-03, 10:51 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Burner Ignition

I have a 2 year old whirlpool super capacity 465 gas stove w/oven. (Model# SF385PE60) The stove top burners will not ignite when turned on, but the oven does. Any suggestion on what is causing the malfunction and how I can fix it?

FYI: About two weeks ago my wife told me that the burners would not light and sure enough when I tried them they would not. I did not hear the clicking of the ignition system but I did hear the gas running. About an hour later I tried the burners again an they all ignited. Is this a symptom of a faulty ignition module? How hard is it to change?

Old 04-21-03, 07:32 PM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello tradesmn and Welcome to my Gas Appliances topic.

The spark ignition module could be the problem. Locating it should not be too difficult.

First turn off the electrical power or unlpug the appliance. Than trace the wires from the spark ignition switches, which are located on top of the burner valves, back to the module.

If the condition happens regardless of which top burner valve is turned on, chances are the module is defective. If the problem only happens when a single valve is turned on and not others, the problem is most likely isolated to that one switch.

The module is not difficult to replace. Simply buy an exact OEM replacement and connect it exactly as the current one is installed. Be positive not to touch or come into connect with the old modules wire leads.

The spark module is an electrical capacitor. which means it holds an electrical charge. The currently installed one may have a stored electrical charge and touching the leads may result in a minor electrical shock.

Retail appliance parts dealers can also help determine what the possible problem may be also. They will need the make, model and serial numbers.

Appliance parts dealers are an excellent source for original replacement parts. Dealers are listed in the phone book under appliances.

If you need further assistance, use the REPLY button to add any additional information or ask additional questions. Doing so will automatically keep your question at the top of the forum list.

Regards & Good Luck. TCB4U2B2B.....Company Enterprises
Tom_Bartco. Doityourself Web Stie Host & Gas Appliances Forum Moderator. Energy Conservation Consultant & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: