Oven Ingnition Question

Old 05-01-03, 09:20 AM
Brent
Visiting Guest
Question Oven Ingnition Question

I read the thread on replacing the oven glowbar and I am having the same problem. I think I can replace my glow bar in the same manner described in that thread. My question is this: How do I know if the problem is really my glow bar and not an electrical issue prior to the glow bar? I do not have any equipment to be able to test the electrical components. Are there fuses in my oven that could be burnt? or other electrical issues that could be the problem? or am I fairly safe with replacing the glow bar? I just don't want to spend the $50 and then still end up calling the repair man.

Old 05-01-03, 05:51 PM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello Brent. Welcome to my Gas Appliances forum.

Glad you already read some of the prior asked questions too.
You question is valid but I may not be able to insure that replacing the glow ignitor will correct the problem positively.

If the existing ignitor is glowing, current is then getting to it. A weak ignitor is usually the source of the problem. Replacing it usually resolves the problem.

If the existing ignitor is not glowing at all and it is not broken, there could be a fuse located between the ignitor and the gas valve it's connected to.

The fuse is not a common type fuse. It is specifically made for an ovens electrical system. It MUST be replaced with another same current rated oven fuse only.

If the fuse link wire inside the glass tube appears to be not broken, it still may be defective. The current flow is low and often times the inturnal wire does not break. Replacement is the best choice.

I would highly suggest checking and or replacing the fuse first, if the is one. If the ignitor is more than 2 or 3 years old, chances are it is weak and needs replacement also.

Retail appliance parts dealers can also help determine what the possible problem may be. Bring the make, model and serial numbers. Appliance parts dealers are an excellent source for original replacement parts.

Dealers can perform tests and stock replacement parts for all appliances. Parts dealers are listed in the phone book under appliances.

If you need further assistance use the REPLY button. Doing so moves the topic back up to the top of the daily list automatically.

Regards & Good Luck. Web Site Host & Gas Appliances Topic Moderator. Tom_Bart. TCB4U2B2B.....Company Enterprises.
Energy Conservation Consulting Services & Gas Appliance Problem Diagnostics and Technician Services.

Old 05-05-03, 12:09 PM
Brent
Visiting Guest
Unhappy

The repair man at the appliance store I visited told me that if I hook a new igniter up to a bad safety valve the valve could knock out my brand new ignitor. He is trying to convince me that I need to replace both pieces to be safe. The ignitor tested funny. It did not register when we first hooked it up to the testing machine but if you held the wires just right you could get it to read but it wouldn't hold. They said I definately need to replace the ignitor. Does this guy know what he is talking about as far as replacing my safety valve?

Old 05-08-03, 02:23 PM
jeff1
Visiting Guest
Cool

Hi,

**told me that if I hook a new igniter up to a bad safety valve the valve could knock out my brand new ignitor**

Chances are the ignitor only is needed...very few times do we run into a bad gas valve...and usually it is the other way around...a bad ignitor damaging the gas valve.

**Does this guy know what he is talking about as far as replacing my safety valve?**

I think he knows a lot...but I will disagree with him in this instance...JMO!!

jeff.

Old 05-10-03, 07:33 PM
Admin Emeritus
Hello: Brent

If your still here looking for additional replies after this period of time, replace that ignitor first. Chances are it is the only part needed.

The most likely reason for the sporatic reading on the testing machine for the old ignitor is either in the wiring from the ignitor or the ignitors hot surface ignition. Meaning a bad connection in the part itself. Replace it.

Clarification:
Replacing the gas valve is not always required but often done by repair companies to insure they do not have to make a call back should the replacing of the ignitor only not last thru the warranty period.

If the oven fails to operate during the warranty for replacing only the ignitor and do so as a result of the gas valve, the labor charge is free to you. You would only then pay for the gas valve. Insurance for the repair company.

Old 05-16-03, 03:31 PM
Brent
Visiting Guest
It's working!!

Well unfortunately or fortunately (not sure whcih) I ended up replacing both pieces. I already had both out and was anxious to get the oven going so I went with my local repair man's advice (as it was the only advice I had at the time). It sounds like I might have gotten away with just changing the ignitor but I guess I will never know. What I do know is that MY OVEN WORKS!!! and more than that.... I FIXED IT!!! This is pretty exciting for an accountant who is not real handy with anything other than numbers. I would like to thank you all for your help. The steps laid out in a thread on this forum made it possible and your additional advice was great. Next time, I will consult this site sooner in the process. Thanks Again.

Old 05-16-03, 07:38 PM
jeff1
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

**What I do know is that MY OVEN WORKS!!! and more than that.... I FIXED IT!!!**

Thats what we like to hear....another happy appliance

Congrats on the repair success!!

jeff.

Old 05-16-03, 07:39 PM
Admin Emeritus
Thumbs up Happy Camper Success Story

We LOVE To Hear Success Stories!...

Hello Brent

On behalf of myself, Jeff1 and anyone else who contributes helpful advice in my "Gas Appliances" forum, I'd like to express thanks to you for taking your valuable time to reply back in the forum.

Glad you had success fixing the problem, included the correctional method and included the parts replaced to fix the problem in your reply.

Regards and Thanks
Gas Appliances Forum Moderator
Tom_B.....TCB4U2B2B Enterprises
Energy Conservation Consultant & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: