Stove Installation

Old 06-05-03, 10:07 PM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
commercial stove installation

I have recently purchased a commercial range for my home. A real commercial range meant for restaurants. specfically this is an American Range, 36'' oven/range. It puts out 32,000 btu per burner.

It came with no installation instructions. I am wondering if there is any general assistance available to me.

Specifically it seems from the material that I can see that there seems to be great concern about air circulation. Is there something I should be looking out for here?

Are there other idiosyncracies (particular to installation) likely because this is a commercial rather than residential range?


Old 06-06-03, 06:46 AM
Sharp Advice's Avatar
Admin Emeritus
Join Date: Feb 1998
Location: The Shake and Bake State USA
Posts: 9,927
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello jimbuysstuff. Welcome to my Gas Appliances forum and our Do-It-Yourself Web Site.

Some minor piping work may be required. You'll need 2 pipe wrenches and 1 adjustable 12 inch wrench. You'll also have to remove the current gas connection parts all the way down to the gas supply pipe.

You may have to turn off the entire gas supply, at the main inlet to the house, which is usually at the meter. The turn off valve, at the meter for a single family house, is on the pipe extending up out of the ground.

The existing older connectors, adaptors, etc. usually do not fit the newer stoves and ranges. You'll have to install a new gas shutoff valve on the supply pipe and complete stove gas flex-line and adaptors.

An appliance regulator may also have to be installed. This part should be included with the stove. Most newer stoves already have the regulator preinstalled.

An excellent source for gas shutoff valves, gas flex-lines, etc installation parts is at your local retail appliance parts store. Parts dealers are listed in the phone book under appliances.

Another source may be a privately owned local retail hardware store. I personally suggest local and private as a better means of finding knowledgeable assistance but it may not always be the case in some areas.

You may also want to or need to contact the local companies that install these appliances for additional information.

Retail parts dealers can also provide some help. Bring the make, model and serial numbers and stop in at the store. Parts dealers are listed in the phone book under appliances.

Removal and installation requirements vary from installation to
installation. Some installations are based upon energy source used as fuel {Nat Gas or Propane} and existing connections.

Codes vary widely. Check with your local building and safety department. Some electrical work may also be needed to make available a grounded 3 prong electrical receptacle available.

Contact your propane gas supplier if propane is used and or the local natural gas company if natural gas is used, prior to turning off or on any natural gas meter for installation of new appliances.

Read the prior topics, within this forum, on this subject of stove and or range installations or replacements and the replies offered.

If you need further assistance, use the REPLY button. Using this method also moves the topic back up to the top of the list automatically.

Helpful web site:

Regards & Good Luck. TCB4U2B2B.....Company Enterprises.
Web Stie Host & Gas Appliances Forum Moderator. Energy Conservation Consultant & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.
Old 06-06-03, 07:28 AM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
commercial gas range


Thanks much for your reply. It is very helpful, as is this site. What a great thing!

I'm wondering about two things.

1. The regulator that came with the stove has a small port for 'vent' that seems to want a small tube to be screwed into it. I have never seen that before. Thoughts?

2. Since this is a commercial range, I was going to put in some fire rated board all around it. Do you have suggestions about that?

3. I haven't checked, but I'm assuming that this house has a 1/4 inch gas supply and will need to be changed to the 1/2 inch needed for this stove. Where best to make this transition and how?

thanks in anticipation....

Old 06-06-03, 11:30 AM
Sharp Advice's Avatar
Admin Emeritus
Join Date: Feb 1998
Location: The Shake and Bake State USA
Posts: 9,927
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hi: jimbuysstuff

The vent on the regulator accepts an aluminum tube which connects into the vent and exhaust at the nearest top burner. This is a commerical code requirement which may not apply to residential usage in your area.

Same applies to the surrounding wall board. In commerical applications it may be required do to the heat produced by hours and hours of usage.

This many hours of non stop usage does not apply to residentail usage and may not be a code requirement in your area. If you want the board for added safety, etc. installing it you personal reasons is fine.

My assumption has to be the fuel is propane based oh the piping size mentioned {1/4 inch} Natural gas would be 1 inch but not less than 3/4 inch. Not a plumber so I cannot advise much on this aspect.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: