draining/flushing water heater

Old 06-08-03, 05:55 AM
Keen
Visiting Guest
draining/flushing water heater in basement

My water heater is in our basement and there are no drains in the basement. If I want to drain or flush my water heater, do I need to flush into a tub or bucket a little at a time and haul it up to a drain? That seems the only way to beat gravity to me, but am I missing something?

Old 06-08-03, 07:59 AM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello Keen. Welcome to my Gas Appliances forum.

Depending on the reason for either draining or flushing the tank, both processes have specific purposes, determines the actions to take.

Flushing should not pose a problem, since any common garden hose can be connected to the tanks spigot and the other end of the hose secured into a drain line for a washer, toilet bowl or out any open window, should any of these be available.

Draining to remove all the water inside the tank posses another problem. Gravity is required and since there isn't any floor drains, you may have to inquire on a procedure a plumber uses.

I suspect a pump can be connected to a hose which in turn is connected to the tanks faucet and the pump can than draw out the water.

Of course the inlet supply has to be off and several hot water faucets opened to allow for incomming air to replace the water supply in the tank.

I am not a plumber, therefore I must use common sense and be resourceful in the thinking process to accomplish the task. A method surely must be used by the plumbing professionals. Asking them may provide better results....

Reading the sticky topic on water heater draining and flushing may provide additional information pertaining to the draining and or flushing reasons and methods.

Regards & Good Luck. Web Site Host & Gas Appliances Forum Moderator. TCB4U2B2B Company Enterprises.
Energy Conservation Consultant & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Old 06-13-03, 02:48 PM
jerryjay11
Visiting Guest
draining

If it's an electric W/H be sure to turn the circuit breaker off first or you'll burn the heater elements out. Gas unit...turn gas off. Oil fired..turn burner off.

To bottom flush (should be done once a month) just use a washer machine length hose and fill a bucket until it runs clear.

To drain, open a faucet, attach a utility pump to that washer hose and then to your garden hose and pump out.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: