gas furnace

Old 06-14-03, 01:52 PM
gordonjh
Visiting Guest
gas furnace

Okay, I'm looking for some suggestions/ideas.

Our gas furnace starts, begins to warm up, and then there is a loud pop sound, followed by the faint smell of gas.

If we leave it running there are many pops/bangs. They are generally a few to several minutes apart.

I am assuming that it's a timing issue from when the gas is released to when the gas is ignited, however, that is the extent of my knowledge of the subject, so I'm not really sure.

I'd like any thoughts, suggestions, tips, ideas. Or at least I would like to be prepared for when I do call in a professional.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Gordonjh

Old 06-14-03, 05:49 PM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 5 Upvotes on 4 Posts
Hello: Gordon. Welcome to my Gas Appliances topic & the Do-It-Yourself Web Site.

Usually but not always the condition you are describing means the burner ports are restricted. The ports are the holes or slots in the burner where the gas comes out and the flames are.

Looking at the flames on the burner or burners, all burners should be burning fully, flames all the same height and every port having flames in them and burning fully. No yellow tips on the flames.

If the condition above is not present, the burners need cleaning. The pilot flame also has to be correctly size and have no yellow in it anywhere.

My knowing exactly the type of heater you have also helps me to determine if out problems may be the more likely cause. The above conditions are generic to all burners on heaters.

Each type of gas heater regardless of the fuel it uses, natrual or propane, must burn the fuel correctly as described above.

Forced warn air furnaces having the problem you are describing can also have other problems both major and minor. Know ing which type helps me help you.

To add the additional information, use the reply button. Doing so will keep all threads together for easier reading and following along by both of us and all other readers in the forum.

Cautionary Note:
Be sure the electrical power to the appliance is turned off, the thermostat is turned down and the gas control valve is in the off postion before attempting any repairs. Always check for gas leaks whenever a repair includes any connection of a gas part, gas line, tubing or gas supply.

Regards & Good Luck, Web Host & Multiple Topic Moderator.
TCB4U2B2B Company Enterprises. Energy Conservation Consultant & Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: