Millivolt Gas Pool Heater

Old 06-23-03, 09:38 PM
sharper
Visiting Guest
Question Millivolt Gas Pool Heater

I have a Raypak 2100 Gas pool heater. This is a millivolt system (it creates its own power). Does anyone know of a timer I can install on the heater only? I can cut the wire for the fireman's switch and place some sort of switch in. I'm not sure what type of switch or timer would work with this millivolt system. Any suggestions?

Old 06-24-03, 06:24 AM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello Sharper. Welcome to my Gas Appliances forum and our Do-It-Yourself Web Site.

A simple milivolt interupt switch can be installed. The part will be available at any pool supply store.

A timer would be totally different. Timers function on the house electrical current. One should already be installed. The timer controls the time on and off for the pump to circulate and filter the water.

The interupt switch will shut off the low milivolt current so the burner does not turn on when not wanted. Some thermostats have a built in burner cut off setting while others do not.

A simple means to accomplish the same task is to turn the thermostats control selection dial to "Pilot." Doing so leaves the pilot on and ready for heating but shuts off the gas flow to the burner inside the control.

Whenever heating is wanted it than becomes a simple task of turning the control dial to "On." Caution should be used doing this manually. Be sure the pump is not on until after turning the dial to the on position.

Doing the task in that way insures you will not be near by the burners when the heater fires up. A back fire of delayed ignition can be hazardous and cause burns and or personal injuries.

If you need further assistance, use the REPLY button to add any additional information or questions, etc. Using this method also moves the topic back up to the top of the list automatically.

Regards & Good Luck. Web Site Host & Gas Appliances Forum Moderator. Energy Conservation Consultant & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Old 06-24-03, 10:51 PM
sharper
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the response. My pool is also attached to a solar heating system. My goal is to have the heater (thru a timer of some sort utilizing the millivolt switch you mentioned) shut off at 10:00pm while continuing to have the pump function for filtering. I would then have the heater come on around 10:00 am, and hopefully on nice days the solar will already be heating the water to a level high enough that the heater wont be utilized (the solar heated water passes thru the heater). In theory, the heater would really only be on in the evening after the sun starts to go down and on cloudy cool days.
I am yet to find a way to do this. Perhaps the easiest way is to attach a millivolt rated thermostat (2 wire) with a timer and set it as high as it can go, or if it has cooling, as low as it can go so the thermostat would always signal demand during the times it was on (10:00 am to 10:00 pm). If this is the best approach, are you aware of any millivolt thermostats that operate off batteries without line or 24 volts?

One other method I thought of is to use solonoid controlled valves and an elecronic sprinkler controller to redirect the flow away from the heater during the night and flip back during the day.

Any insight is greatly apreciated, thanks
Sharper (except when it comes to millivolt systems)

Old 06-25-03, 06:27 AM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello: Sharper

Very possible you will need to visit the local pool supply stores in your area. The professionals in these stores may be able to better customize the operating system to meet your needs.

Another possibility is to contact pool cleaning professionals whom also fix pool equipment or know of those that do that type of work. Their insight may offer you additional customizing help.

With the solar system in place and operational acting with the pool heater as a backup based upon weather conditions in your area, customizing is possible but may be more difficult.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: