gas odor in house

Old 06-24-03, 09:38 AM
avgindyguy
Visiting Guest
Question gas odor in house

We just bought a new house and every once in a while we smell the odor of natural gas in one of our rooms. We use gas for the furnace, stove but not oven, and also two fireplaces. The room we smell it in has a fireplace is also adjacent to our furnace room. The odor comes and goes and is not constant. The pilot light is still lit in the fireplace, and to be honest I am not even sure how the fireplace operates. Two valves, one red and the other is just black. Any ideas on how to find and repair the leak.

Old 06-24-03, 05:18 PM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello avgindyguy. Welcome to my Gas Appliances topic.

Best advice in situations where a gas odor is present but the source is not known is to call the gas supplier.

The leak may not be at any specific appliance. It could be in an inaccessable location like in a wall where a gasline runs, at an appliances connection point, the appliances control valve or a shut off valve, etc.

Gas fireplaces usually have shut off valves recessed into walls or under a raised floor in multiple level homes, etc. These valve can begin to leak or have a leak at any connection location not easily accessable to non professionals.

The gas is natural gas, therefore the bill will have a phone number to call for leak odor complaints, etc. Call the utility.

They will or should have leak electronic leak detection equipment and other testing means to determine where the leak is located. I personally had such equipment and never had an instance where I could not specifically pin point the exact location of the leak.

You said the house was new. If that means brand new and you are the first owner, contact the builder. The builder needs to contact their pipe installer and that company will test the lines.

If new means new to you but your not the first original owner, contact the supplier as mentioned above asap. A gas leak is not a condition that should be left undone nor should it be done by a non professional or a do it yourself task. Make the call now.

Regards & Good Luck.
Do It Yourself Web Site Host & Gas Appliances Forum Moderator. Energy Conservation Consultant & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: