Dryer Odors

Old 06-28-03, 05:00 PM
rfthomp
Visiting Guest
Gas dryer out smells, clothes fine

Gas dryer works fine, except for gas odor coming out of the dryer vent. No smell on clothes, no smell inside house near dryer, is this normal? Suggestions?

Thanks!

Old 06-28-03, 07:34 PM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Hello rfthomp. Welcome to my Gas Appliances forum.

Not sure there is enough detailed information for me to make an accurate diagnosis but I'll try.

There should not be any gas odor. Regardless of the fuel type used. Chances are the burner area is not clean. Excessive lint and dust in the burner compartment may be causing the flame to burn yellow and or not burn the fuel completely.

Cleaning the entire inside of the dryer area may resolve the problem. A slightly restricted venting system can also cause fumes and odor smells. Be sure the entire venting system is cleared out and unrestricted.

If the dryer has a burner access door panel, open it and view the burner flames while the dryer is running. You should not see yellow flames or flames that are not pointing directly down the burners hood cover or a linted burner compartment.

Check all the above and open the dryer cabinet or burner compartment and clean out all lint. Retry the smell test. If the problem still exists there may be a problem a pro needs to check.

Post back a reply with the results after completing the above. Add the some additional specific details. When the problem was noticed. Fuel type and any conditions or situations that have changed if any, etc.

Be sure the electrical power to the appliance is turned off, before attempting the internal cabinet cleaning. Always check for gas leaks when ever a repair includes any connection of a gas part.

Regards & Good Luck. TCB4U2B2B Company Enterprises.
Doityourself Web Site Host & Gas Appliances Forum Moderator. Energy Conservation Consultant & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: